top dog or chick, ?pecking order?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Spitman, May 13, 2010.

1. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    I'm a first time chicken ow:lol:[​IMG]to her for short period then the next one comes along and so on. Its very interesting and i find myself totally loveing to watch feed and build a home for them. Is this normal beh or might i have a roo??? ill post some pic. tom.:

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    What breed are they? from reading threads on here I have noticed so many different behaviors, and temperaments.
    From my barred rocks, my rooster is not top dog, we have one chicken that appears to be a few days older than the other 3 she ( her name is floe ) appears to be top dog
    and she will go around pushing everyone around. When food is dropped she will barrel down and push her body through the other 3 chicks way so she can eat first.
    She will bop ( i call it bopping) but she will peck the others on top of the head or on their bottom. They don't give her no lip lol
    But they don't coddle her or show their need to be near her they equally like to lay next to each other.
    She is just first for food , first for getting out of the brooder, first for everything.......she is also first to bed.

We should have named her bertha big butt lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by