Top fill heated waterers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CKC Coop, Jan 7, 2015.

1. CKC Coop

CKC Coop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2014
    I have a 5 gallon top fill waterer that I love. It is so handy . I looked for something similar to use this winter that was heated, but have found nothing! Instead I have 2 smaller heated waterers that I have to unplug, carry out of the coop (without spilling), turn upside down, pour water in and then carry back into the coop again (without spilling). It is impossible to not get water spilled in the coop, on my boots, on my gloves, and on the ground where it turns into a slick patch....rrrrr! Seems like it would be so simple to just put a removable lid on the top of these waterers and my problems would all be solved. Why don't they market such waterers? And if I'm wrong and they do sell something like this, please let me know where to get one! I am tired of the mess! My chickens go through about 4- 5 gallon of water a day. Right now I have 2 3 and 1/2 gallon heated waterers. I am tempted to cut the top off of one and make some kind of cover myself!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Where did you get this one?

3. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    I got mine at my local Farm and Home, but you can also order them here[​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well there ya go...get another one..or two.

5. Cape Cod Chicks

Cape Cod Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Cape Cod, MA
    We just picked up a new and improved 5 gal heated water fountain that fill from the top (MA). No more flipping, spilling, etc. I actually just carry the watering can out and top it off. Very happy, just wish they made the hole bigger. Will probably get 2" rubber stopper and increase hole accordingly.

1 person likes this.
  6. CKC Coop

Oct 18, 2014
    I need it to be heated and this one is not. I just use it when it's not freezing.

7. Cape Cod Chicks

Cape Cod Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2014
    Cape Cod, MA
    The local (Barnstable Feed and Supply) here in Cape Cod, MA had the heated top fill plastic poultry water fountain. Not sure if they still have any but its the best!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by