Top fill waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jmtcmkb, Oct 22, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Has anyone purchased /used this top fill waterer?

[​IMG][/img]

I'm not able to find any reviews on it, but I like the idea of top fill and I could hang it with those 2 handles.

2. zot

zot New Egg

Aug 21, 2011
  3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    How would you hang that waterer? It would need to be set up on something to keep the chickens from pooping in it. Other than that it looks like a fairly standard waterer. It is the same type of plastic as are the similar plastic types of waterers and feeders.

4. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I was thinking of chain threaded through both handles. Actually on the Tractor supply site I found another waterer that has a metal handle and much better reveiws that the standard little giant ones I see. It's not top fill, but has really good reviews. I am going to my local shop today. I was looking for 1 gallon as I only have 5 chickens. They have them for only 6.99, I will buy two and swap out during freezing temps.

5. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    the product I found is called Harris farms poultry drinker, they are on the tractor supply web site. Every review I read on the little giant ones seems liked peopel were frustrated. The reviews on the Harris Farms ones are pretty good.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I use this one :[​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    7Lfarm, you like that hanging one? that red/white one in the back is for feed right?

8. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I think you are a lot better off with a bucket system with either waterer cups or nipples. Those plastic waterers are a pain to keep clean and sometimes have problems.

[​IMG]

9. jmtcmkb

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I did buy some of the nipples and was about to get a 1 gallon bucket ( I only have 5 chicks) still undecided...coop is very small. I read too much!!

10. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I've purchased two like the one 7L Farms has for my broilers, and I like it a lot. Just cap the hole, open the top, and fill up. I was using a 3 gallon "dome" type, but I spill on myself more often then not. With the top fill, I can fill it to the brim, and then fill the drinking area, and when I uncap the hole, everything is full. More water for everyone.

I got mine at the local feed mill.

I'll have to swap out for a heated system this winter for the layers, but they're good about drinking out of a 5 gallon bucket with a bucket heater ring on the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by