Top for the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by doubleatraining, Sep 12, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I'm probably going to be getting some meaties next week. They won't go outside for 3 weeks but when they do I think I want to put them in a 10x10 dog run and move them around the yard. They don't roost and really don't need a coop....I plan on putting hardware wire around the bottom 2' and probably do a plywood "corner" for them to hide in if they feel they need to. I also plan on putting a "roof" on the corner for rain protection. I'm not sure I'm describing that right....almost like a corner "hut". With all the chickens I have I have been lucky to not have any predator issues. The one I'm mostly concerned about is hawks. I had one attack in front of me....it didn't get anything but it hit the side of the pen HARD.

What do I put on top of this dog run so the hawks don't carry my meaties away?

2. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Same problem here. I used greenhouse shadecloth and it has worked great! Mine is a 10x20 dogrun with hardware cloth on the bottom.

3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    Where do I find that? How much does it cost?

4. Tool

Tool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Quote:Do you mean the hardware cloth? If so just about any hardware store or TSC, IFA etc. Last I bought any it was about 10 bucks for a 10'x2'.

I have a 20x20 run, and currently have angled mesh around all 4 side, angling inwards at about 40 deg, 4ft wide. The plan for now is to keep them in the run, but I also worry about hawks... So I plan on eventually covering the whole thing. But hardware cloth does get expensive, and I need something that will let in sun and rain, but not build up the snow in the winter. I have been looking at stucko wire at Lowes. Its like chicken wire with the "ovalish" holes, but much cheaper. and more of it in a roll. However I need to figure out the frame work to hold it all.

5. Honeysucklefeathers

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    If you mean shade cloth, you can google it. I ordered mine from a greenhouse supply company online. It has a finished edge and I attached it to the top of the run with zip ties thru the grommets.
    I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. It was 70.00 which included shipping.

6. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    We built our run long but thin enough to span the roof with a row of 2x4s. Then we attached 2x4 inch welded wire garden fence along the top of the wood frame. It has worked perfectly so far....no losses in the 13 months since we built it. [​IMG]

You can see the roof of the run a bit in this photo.
    [​IMG]

7. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Less expensive than shade cloth and works just as good "Du Pont Bird netting" it comes in a 14`ft x 14 Ft Size and you can get it at Lowes for $6.00 or they have "Du Pont Wildlife Netting" its the same stuff but in a 7 Ft x 100 Ft roll for $15.00. We use this stuff after a hawk got off with a couple of our chickens and since we put it up we have not had another problem, it also keeps the birds in. The best way to find it is look it up at lowes.com under "Du Pont Bird Netting" and order it online for store pick up because I can not find it on the shelf when I looked. hope this helps

8. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Funny thing. I google deer netting and got the usual list. One was Lowes so I clicked that one. In their search bar I put the netting. Then a block poped up that said, 'are we supposd the have that'? So if they have it they don't know it. I did find a bunch of different sizes on a place called find.com. They has all different sizes but it was made by Ross and not DuPont.

9. Honeysucklefeathers

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I looked into the bird netting. I really needed some shade as well tho, since the run is in full sun and the shade cloth solved both my problems [​IMG]

10. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    Could use PVC to make a roof to arch the run a bit (for drain off purposes) and add a tarp for shade and/or poultry netting over the top for protection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by