TOP Hatch Incubators NOT?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dilly, May 14, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Hello,

In a couple other threads about incubators, I read many who said whatever do NOT get a top hatch. I am curious why? What is it about top hatches that make them so inferior?

Thanks allot, proud owner of a Brinsea which I hope one day to put to good use.

Dilly

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I think the fact that it needs a bubble wrap jacket is a turn off for some people. I personally like mine, and the customer service is amazing. (I bought mine used off ebay, and it was abused.) There is a difference between the TH110 and TH120. The TH110 has a sketchy rep, but the TH 120 seems to be a better design.

3. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Josie you have to bubble wrap yours ?
    I'm thinking of buying one in next couple days...but don't like the idea of bubble wrapping anything lol I want easy

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I think you have to pay big $ for easy... no pun intended!

I like my Brower. I bubble-wrapped it for winter but it's running without the wrappings now.

5. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    thanks WGC so if it's the 120 model as Josie states should be all good.
    Guess you like it...your avatar speaks a 1000 words! [​IMG]

6. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yeah, I keep getting lectures from DH about overloading the bator...
    But when you get shipped eggs, and then you candle and remove some, it just all works out!! That's what I keep telling him, anyway [​IMG]

7. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Well that sounds reasonable to me!
    It claims to hold 40 chicken eggs think that's about right?
    have you hatched many turkey in it?

8. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have mine bubble wrapped. It took me all of 1 minute to do it. I had to buy the bubble wrap fro about $0.70, and it was already the perfect size for the bator. The room it is in is very drafty.

9. newbiecaroline

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    I was thinking to put it inside a kitchen cupboard away from drafts or heat....think that would help?
    what kind of problem did you have by not wrapping it? how bad was it?

10. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I have some turkey eggs in it now, but they were shipped and only seems to be doing anything.
    Yes, it can hold 40 medium sized chicken eggs. Fewer if the eggs are larger. I had 46 in it of mixed standard and banty eggs [​IMG]
    I have 37 of turkey, standard and banty this go-round.

I wouldn't put it in a cupboard in case it got too warm in there. If the temps stray back and forth, wrap it. Otherwise, just leave it in a lesser-used room.
    Definitely don't put it somewhere you can't conveniently reach into it. You don't want to move it after the eggs are set and you have water in there!

Make sure you get a dependable thermometer. My first hatch was bad because I had 2 that matched but were just both equally off. I cooked the poor babes! This time is better and I'm seeing lots of wiggling this time when I candle, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by