Top hen won't let others lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gotcorgis, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gotcorgis

gotcorgis New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    Looks like we have a real bully. Our "top" hen won't let the others go into the nesting boxes and lay. Out of 12 chickens, we've only been getting 1-3 eggs a day for the last week. We usually get 8-11. I stayed outside with them this morning and she seems to be the problem. Any advice? I can't seem to find anything online about this.

(Btw, we have 6 australorps and 6 New Hampshire reds, all about 8 months. Also have 2 (2 month?) chicks (maybe Roos?) that were running loose in he neighborhood and no one claimed. They are in a separate area outside and we've had them about 2+ weeks)

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    She can keep them out of the nests but she can't prevent them from layng, They will drop it where they stand if they have no other choice. She may be causing enough stress, though, that the others are slowing down in response. The stress of two new bitrds would only add to this. I think I would probably isolate the bully for a week, out of sight and hearing, much the way you do to a hen who is pecking and attacking.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers/0_20

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by