Top rooster has been kicked out by new roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gardenlady2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I have 2 roosters that are 18 months that have coexisted peacefully in the flock since they were raised together as chicks. Back in September I had a broody hatch out 5 more boys. They grew up together with the adult flock in the same coop and yard from day 1. Over the past few days, the younger boys have started picking on the top rooster. One fight was so bad that the top rooster was bloodied up pretty bad. Since then, the other roosters won't let him come near the rest of the flock. He does go into the coop at night to roost, but as soon as they woke up today they chased him back out. He just stood out in the yard in the pouring rain all alone. We plan to "harvest" 4 of the 5 young roosters this weekend. Will this likely allow the formerly top rooster back into the flock? The one that fought him the fiercest will be gone. Just wondering what to expect.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like your top rooster is now your former top rooster. How many hens do you have? Even keeping just one could upset that balance, too, and cause overbreeding and stress to your hens. I don't know if your top rooster will regain his place since he's already been deposed. It's hard to guess when dealing with living animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by