Top Ten Endangered Chickens In The Usa

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    What ten breeds do you think are the rarest in the USA? Of course, there are many breeds we could all choose based on our own knowledge, so I thought maybe we could all upload our own "Top 10" lists, and average the results to get a good idea of what the truth is [​IMG]

Here's my list, for starters (I wouldn't say this is in any particular order):

1. Kraienkoppe
    2. Russian Orloff
    3. Malay
    4. Shamo
    5. Asil
    6. American Game
    7. Old English Game (Large Fowl)
    8. Ameracaunas (NOT Easter Eggers)
    9. Spitzhauben
    10. Buckeye

Again, not in any particular order, and this list is based only on my rather limited knowledge. However, I do know that Kraienkoppes, Orloffs, and the Oriental Gamefowl I listed are quite rare and deserve a lot more attention than they get from the APA and other established poultry organizations.

Let's see some lists, folks! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Icelandics have very few breeders here in the USA.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    How about Silver Sussex? Iowa Blues?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Jubilee Orpingtons have only two farm breeders so far in the US.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am thinking Golden Campines and Nankins.

1 person likes this.
  6. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
  7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would add Brabanters.

As far as what the ALBC has listed it is my understanding from some breed threads here that many rare breeds are not on that list. I think the reason was because they were not being shown and had no SOP.
    I'm not positive about the reason but it was something along the line of what I said.

So in that case there are very many.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I would take everything off that list but the Kraienkoppe.

In fact you're forgetting Araucanas which are far more rare than Ameraucanas. [​IMG]

But honestly, these are much more rare (in good quality, but some are just flat out rare in any quality) than what's on the list.

Campines
    La Fleche
    Redcaps
    Catalanas
    Crevecoeurs
    Sultans
    Houdans
    Sicilian Buttercups
    Malays
    Madagascar Game
    Ga Noi
    Hollands
    White Faced Black Spanish
    Lakenvelders
    Rhode Island Whites

I do not follow the ALBC because they count ALL stock including hatchery, which is unfair considering that nulls out Am's and Araucanas due to apparent confusion with Easter Eggers, it nulls out the fact that heritage New Hampshires (very rare) are very different from hatchery ones, and somehow considers non-Industrial Rhode Island Reds as common, when in fact, how is that, when true type ones (especially Rose Combed) are more on the rare side, the Industrial ones are very, very common and are likely what they're counting.

Delawares and Buckeyes I'm sorry are getting quite a bit of popularity as the years progress. Icelandics too, and they technically are a land-race not a breed. Imported breeds like Denizli and Breda Fowl are too recent for me to count.

My opinion. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

La Fleche
    Crevecoeurs
    Lamona
    White Faced Black Spanish
    Lakenvelders

I don't know that much about heritage breeds, but I do notice the La Fleche and Crevecoeurs are harder to find cause those are two that I am interested in! I remember reading that someone was trying to re-create the Lamona breed but I think the original is either extinct or so low of numbers that they were worried about too much interbreeding.

10. chikincrazee

chikincrazee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    IL
    Im thinking nankins...people think they are games all the time...chanteclers...iowa blues ....shamos...just to name a few

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by