Top Ten Medical Misinformations

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Oct 28, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    These are things I keep reading.

• An egg bound bird will die after 48 hours of being egg bound. Not true! Birds can be egg bound for days and not die as long as they can poop. Egg on right was laid after a week of being egg bound. Egg on left is the normal egg color for this hen.
    [​IMG]

• Sour crop always means yeast infection.
    • Vent gleet always means yeast infection.
    • Tube feeding is dangerous. So not true... It's very easy to do and much safe than dripping water into their beaks. I'm willing to teach anyone that want to learn.
    • The poop looks normal because a certain website says it's normal. Wrong! There is a website that labels many abnormal poops as normal This is an example of one it calls normal, yet I submitted three chicks for necropsy, all three had poop *just* like this and all three died from severe coccidiosis. Note that chicks were not mine, they were ones I volunteered to treat at the local feed store. My chicks would have been treated much sooner and would have lived.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Top Ten Worming and Wormer Misinformations - Graphic Pictures!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures

Top Ten Ways to Accidently Kill a Sick Bird
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/933253/top-ten-ways-to-accidently-kill-a-sick-bird

Top Ten Medicine Misinformations
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/934082/top-ten-medicine-misinformations

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    X2 this! I think I know the site you're referring to and it's aggravating, it shows so many clearly abnormal poops yet describes them all as normal. To make matters worse, there's a brigade of folks on here that support that site to the hilt anytime someone questions it, or asks why their chicken is doing abnormal poops.

I know people who think that 'all chooks have diarrhea all the time' and stuff like that, it's exasperating enough without someone backing it up from some kind of apparent position of authority.

If your chooks regularly have poops that deviate from the normal black-and-white or something close to it, then you have chooks that are regularly unwell. Period.

Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Here are some others I've heard, maybe not "top ten", but still misinformation:

Misconception: Vaccinated birds can't get Marek's Disease. Truth: The vaccine just gives chicks a chance to build immunity to the disease and usually prevents the development of tumors. Some vaccinated birds will still die.

Misconception: Coughing or sneezing birds have a "cold". Truth: Chickens don't get "colds". They get respiratory diseases, which are often much more serious.

Misconception: Chicks don't have Coccidiosis since there's no blood in the droppings. Truth: Not all of the nine strains of Coccidiosis cause bloody droppings. In fact, by the time you see blood in the droppings, the chicks are very sick.

*edited to correct the number of strains of Coccidiosis that cause bloody droppings*

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Here are a few related misconceptions that I've heard of:

Misconception: My chicks can't have Coccidiosis, since I'm feeding them medicated feed. Truth: Medicated feed is only a preventative. It does not contain high enough levels of Corid or another coccidiostat to kill Coccidia infestations.

Similarly, Coccidiosis can not be treated by purchasing medicated feed--the birds have too high an infection to be cured by such small coccidiostat levels. Corid powder or liquid works much better.

Also, most medicated feeds do not treat any other disease. They contain coccidiostats, not antibiotics. On several occasions, I've answered a post where the original poster had realized his/her chickens were sick, and planned on getting them medicated feed to "cure" them. There are a few medicated feeds that do contain antibiotics, but in most cases, medicated feed is meant for Coccidiosis.

-------------

By the way, great idea for a thread!

1 person likes this.
  5. mamazeta

mamazeta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    • The poop looks normal because a certain website says it's normal. Wrong! There is a website that labels many abnormal poops as normal This is an example of one it calls normal, yet I submitted three chicks for necropsy, all three had poop *just* like this and all three died from severe coccidiosis. Note that chicks were not mine, they were ones I volunteered to treat at the local feed store. My chicks would have been treated much sooner and would have lived.
    [​IMG]

from casportpony

OMGosh - I think I've been to that site and wondered if some of the "normals" were actually normal!!
    Can you show which ones are not normal and tell what the cause is??

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Time for a KATHY'S CHICKEN POOP CHART !

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I missed them! Thanks!

9. mamazeta

mamazeta Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    I did too - there's so much information on the BYC site that I lose hours looking for and looking at info. I need to set a timer!!!

Thanks, Kathy, for redirecting me [​IMG]

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Enjoy them!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by