Top Ten Ways to Accidently Kill a Sick Bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Oct 24, 2014.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Been thinking about this for awhile... On the list of way to kill a sick bird are:

• Leaving a sick bird out in a cold coop. Sick birds are often hypothermic and should be kept in a warm room or cage - 80 to 92 degrees is ideal.

• Force feeding a dehydrated bird - hydration must be corrected before attempting to force feed.

• Improperly giving fluids orally. Sick birds often won't swallow properly and syringing or dropping fluids in their mouths can cause them to aspirate.

• Force feeding a hypothermic bird. Birds must be warmed and have their hydration corrected before feeding.

• Bathing a sick or injured bird. Don't do it!

• Add handling a critically I'll bird. Sometimes handling them is enough to send them over the edge.

• Wait too long to provide care or ignore subtle symptoms that a bird is might be sick.

• Failing to do a proper, thorough exam.

Please feel free to add your own suggestion or comments.

-Kathy

Added entry in red
    Added entry in blue
    Added entry in orange

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Add handling a critically I'll bird. Sometimes handling them is enough to send them over the edge.

-Kathy

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I know you won't put this on your list...... but........ How about the people who come here for 'help' and then either ignore perfectly good advice, or dilly dally around until even the good advice is not going to help?

8 people like this.
  4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Great post, keep them coming. I think we all make mistakes like this before we get real serious about healthcare for our birds. To keep making the same mistakes is unnecessary when we have BYC to help us share information.

1 person likes this.
  5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I'd add "Cramming antibiotics (wormers, etc) down a bird's throat without even knowing what you're dealing with."

3 people like this.
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No one is perfect and all of you should know that I am guilty of the six I have listed so far [​IMG]. All died due to my ignorance, period. But since then, I have learned how to treat they critically ill and will not make those mistakes again... will probably make others, but not those.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm definitely guilty of that, but have not killed one yet by doing it. However, I have probably killed some from not treating them soon enough.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How about waiting too long to provide care? That I'll put on the list. Those that ignore advice deserve to be in a top ten things that annoy BYC members trying to help, lol.

-Kathy

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Kathy, we've all been there. <sigh> I lost my very favorite hen several weeks ago because I wasn't diligent enough to check for snipped off bits of fencing from building the run and Pearl got a small piece of metal lodged in her throat. It just makes ya sick, doesn't it? When she first had problems, I got some really great advice - and some really bad advice. The most logical thing was that she'd gotten a long strand of grass lodged from when we put grass clippings in the run and as advised I gave her some bread. The goofy noise and head shaking stopped for several days. But then it started up again. I was told to give her antibiotics, even though I didn't know if she had an infection anywhere, to de-worm her, to soak her throat with a hot wet rag, and someone even told me to rub her throat with Vicks. The simplest solution was the bread, and it did work, but after she died we did a chicken-topsy and spotted the tiny bit of wire lodged deep in her throat. The bread probably worked to help push it down and gave her some relief until it lodged deeper, and this time it wasn't coming out. I'm glad I didn't run out and buy a bunch of meds that I don't understand and that would have made no difference anyway. I'm no vet, and nothing will go into my chickens unless it's essential and prescribed by a vet with clear dosage instructions specific to chickens and to her size.

2 people like this.
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry about your hen. That's the sort of thing that can be really easy to misdiagnose. How big was the wire? In hind-site, what would you do differently if another one presented with the same symptoms?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by