Tophat Bantam? No clue what rooster I have here, anybody have an idea??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmsagirl, Oct 5, 2015.

1. cmsagirl

cmsagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    A friend of ours gave us 6 chicks from her stock out of a trade. we ended up with 4 hens and two roosters, one is an americauna (sorry if that's not spelled right) and the other I have no idea what he is. She had what she called tophats, black australops, and americaunas, and bantams. She only had 1 or 2 bantams in her coop. I've looked up pictures of tophats and this guy just doesn't look like them. Due to his coloring we think he may be a tophat americauna cross, but it's just odd how his "hat" looks. His "hat" looks just like her other tophats, he is about 5-6 months old if that helps any. Anybody have a guess as to what he might be? He is aggressive too, I've been told tophats are aggressive. His eyes are much bigger than the other chickens and he is a tad smaller, so that's why I thought he might have bantam in him, but as a chick he wasn't any smaller than the rest.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    He certainly does look like he is crossed with a crested breed. Polish or silkie maybe? I have crossed some polish with an amber hen and the eggs produced some birds that have a slight crest just like your boy.

[​IMG]

The three at the front of the pic are all boys.

3. cmsagirl

cmsagirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Thanks! It's entirely possible he is a cross of maybe a polish. now that I think about it she did have a couple of the polish ones running around her coop, they were the black ones with the white crazy headdresses. (if that's the ones I'm describing). Yours are adorable!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Thanks! I have a couple of the white crested blacks. They are hens and are real characters. They make a lot of noise too and are real attention seekers.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of other cross polish ones to the right and the centre ~

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by