Tophatch vs Genesis 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JanieMarie, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I cant decide between the Tophatch and the Genesis 1588. So once again I'm coming to you BYCers for advice. Does anyone have any definite pros or cons for either of these? Also I heat mainly with wood and was wondering if either of these were more forgiving of temp fluctuations? I like the ease of sanitation between hatches with the tophatch but have also heard many good things about the Genesis 1588. Any and all experiences will be appreciated! Thanks!

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I've never used the Tophatch, but I've used a 1588 a couple of times now, with pretty good results. I actually have two of them going right now. I find that they are pretty easy to maintain. My temp stays stable, but I have issues with the humidity, especially now with the heat on in the house. We have gas heat which dries everything out. I'm very pleased with the ease of the 1588.

If you do go with the 1588, try to get the autoturner if you can. It really makes things much easier.

Good luck!

3. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I have not used the tophatch either but hear they are very sensitive to the outside temps unless you get the insulating sleeve with it. I do use the 1588 with auto turner and have had great hatches.

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If I had it to do again, I would definately go with the Top Hatch, It is much more durable. The insulating sleeve or Cozy as I call, it is easy to make. I just used a piece of big bubble wrap and taped it on for each setting. The ease of cleaning and durability is a big factor for me. I found I had difficulty getting the lid off the Hova Bator and after a while I had lots of marks from my nails. With the wood heat, however, you may be better with the Genesis. Humidity is easier to maintain in the styrofoam units. Where I live that can be a problem in the summer but in the winter it is very dry and it was a bit more difficult for me to get the humidity up where I needed it during the hatch.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I use the top hatch and love it. MY temps fluctuate in my room but the top hatch stays consistent. Temps in the top hatch always stay at 99.5F-100.0F. I am going to miss it next years as I am going to be selling it. The awesome thing about the top hatch is you can throw it in the dishwasher.

6. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Well this isn't making things any easier at all! LOL I appreciate all your input. These 2 are both in the price range I want to spend and from the sound of it I guess I probably cant go wrong with either. I have an LG still air now and am looking for a second definitely with turner and then I can use the LG for hatcher or staggered hatches. I've just been reading the thread about people hating the LG. Interesting. Mine took some getting used to but I don't hate it.

7. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:What type fluctuations in temps? Asking because we keep the house on 65 and let it drop to 55 at night. Would temps in the top hatch adjust?

8. defenestra

defenestra Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Can anyone say how easy it is to adjust humidity in the top hatch incubator? Does it have a water reservoir or do you put a dish of water in? Does it have an automated egg turning option?

How do you add humidity to the Genesis w/ egg turner? Can it rest on the turner without interfering with its motion?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by