Topical treatments for pecking?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ScottyHOMEy, Nov 27, 2011.

1. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    I've been out of chickend for a few years and rely quite a bit on wht was handed done to me by my grandparents. Doing quite nicely, lots of thanks given regularly for what I was taught.

Need some help with the latest challenge. It wasn't something I saw before I got the run open. I saw the birds only from above. When they got out into the open, I see that the Black (Sexlink/Australorp ??) was missing a lot of feathers in the neck area. Picked clean, so they wil grow back. Looked her all over, no sign of mites . . .

When they went out today, it's obviously become a matter of pecking. The feathers on her lower back, forward of her tail, have been pecked out and the skin is bloody.

Some years having passed since I had a teacher . . . what are the recommended handling, ointments . . . to get her through and still keep her part of the flock?

2. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    When I first discovered one of my runts getting pecked on I went down to the feed store to find an ointment. I don't recall the price or even the name of the stuff they showed me, but suffice it to say it was INSANE! Even the salesman told me it may or may not work. Almost out of desperation I tried some neosporin. The other chickens thought it was candy. I tried to segregate, but that didn't last very long. As soon as the wounds healed, they started pecking right back on her. No way was I going to take a chicken to the vet.

Long story short, I endup using 29 grains of lead (.22 short) to solve the problem on the runt. Once the hens on the high end of the pecking order found the blood on the runt, her days were numbered. Everything I've ever read or heard about chickens is once they find blood it's like white on rice. I wasn't going to spend the kind of money required to heal her.

Sorry for being blunt.

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I brought hens inside with that and used blu kote spray and/or neosporin.Gave them time to heal up before going back out.Ones with feather loss but no blood just got the blu kote. In fact I sprayed a bit of blu kote on them all so no one was the odd ball! They still peck at each other,but there are no major injuries these days. I might have a pic of the ones I brought in to heal.It was way more extensive than what the pics show.Chickens can be brutal with each other. I might have used some herbs for kids super kids salve on them too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. donna8424

donna8424 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Florida
    I had a small one that was being pecked a lot. I put a thin layer of Vaseline on her skin then layered Vicks over her pin feathers and bald spot every other night. They get dirty because of the dirt sticks to her but she is looking better. Her feathers are coming back.

Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by