Tops of pheasant pens

deserthotwings

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Queen Creek AZ
Trying to decide wheather to use flight netting or 1" mash chicken wire to cover the new pens I'm building. They will be for ruffed pheasants. I have been using netting on all my pens, I know it's necessary on Ringnecks but really don't see any need for it on the other pheasants. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it is probably a tossup. The netting would be less damaging should the pheasants become flighty, but it will also be slightly less predator-resistant than wire.

I prefer the netting myself as my goldens and amhearst will sometimes (granted, not often) spook and fly into it. I also think it is easier to work with when building a pen. Our pens have wire sides and netting on top.

I understand the wire is more predator proof. Fortunately we've never had anything try to get in through the top. Had a coyote once try and rip into the wire at the bottom but our dog scared it off before it got inside the pen.

Thanks for the info. Think I will probably go with netting. My main 2 predator types are coyotes and bobcats. We have a lot of owls and hawks, but haven't had any problems with then getting through the netting

Yea I would go with netting. Just make sure you don't have anything your pheasants can perch on close to the netting. We have had bad episodes with owls and hawks flying down and pinning the pheasant to whatever they're perching on and then proceed to eat them through the net. We learned the hard way to have the net way in the air and nowhere near any perches. Lost way to many birds to owls.

Tony we don't have any squirrels to worry about. The only problem from the top would we hawks and owls. Do you have any problem with the birds cutting their heads on the top when they fly up and hit the hardware cloth. I used 1" mesh on one ringneck pen and it was pretty hard on their heads when they were spooked.

It depends on the temperament of your particular birds. This varies so much although I think netting is your safest bet.

Back
Top Bottom