Torn between Delawares and Spec Susexx

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SouthUtah, Nov 27, 2016.

1. SouthUtah

SouthUtah Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Just about to purchase my first batch of chickens and am torn between Delawares and Spec Sussex. I want a flock that can lay and brood my own chicks and compete at state fair level. Thoughts? Or maybe different breed?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you want to use them for showing, don't buy hatchery stock. Find a reputable breeder.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI

3x Why not a Trio of each [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  5. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

I agree with that statement! Perhaps start lurking on some of the breed threads and start talking to folks who breed the two? :D

6. SouthUtah

SouthUtah Just Hatched

Nov 27, 2016
    Southern Utah
    The show thing is really tertiary to me i want to stick to one breed to learn it at first. I will start looking at threads.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I understand what you're saying about picking a breed, but I would also advise to get a few hens of each breed and see how you like them in person. I've had breeds I fell totally in love with on paper, but in the coop......not so much. And some breeds that were never on my radar that I happened upon that really worked their way into my heart.

And, it's your first flock. It's not like you're making a lifelong commitment here. Get a few of each breed, see how you like them over the summer. Come fall, if you're not happy with one, sell them.

You won't really be able to judge broodiness until next spring, though, so that maybe something to keep in mind.

Unless you're really working on Serious Breeding, concentrating on one breed isn't so much of an issue.

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Agree completely. If your going to show, steer clear of hatchery birds. Check the breed forums here "as stated by others". Check out the perspective breed club websites for a breeders directory. Hit up some shows and talk to the people showing, they are usually more than willing to talk to and help a person get started in the breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by