Torn comb

chickenmomma123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
What has happen to my chickens comb? What should I do for her?
[/IMG][/IMG]

Looks like an injury that may have occurred in a number of ways. I would clean it and put an antibiotic on it for the next few days or so. Keep an eye on the chick and if that is all it is, it should be fine.

Of course there is always the option of taking it to the vet.

I had a cockerel that looked like that after he got caught in a hawk net. Like pp said, we cleaned it, put a bit of Nustock on the cut part and he was as good as new in a couple of days. best wishes!

Do you think I can clean her up with peroxide and use neosporon on it? Should I isolate her from the other chickens until it heals ?

Do you think I can clean her up with peroxide and use neosporon on it? Should I isolate her from the other chickens until it heals ?

I think soapy water would be gentler, but it's totally up to you. If the Neosporin is pain reliever free it's fine. Separation is only necessary if the comb is bleeding or the the other birds are pecking at her. HTH!

Totally agree with KPenley.
Sometime the other hens will see the injury and start picking at it, for sure you would need to isolate her if that should occur but if not she will be fine remaining with the flock.
Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom