Torn hanging "cheek"

sunnyday1

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
A few days ago, I went out to the coop to find one of my 5mo BO pullets with a cheek (not sure what to call the red part above but not attached to the wattle!) that was torn and hanging from the top. I sprayed it with Blue Kote (I rethought that idea b/c I do think it called more attn to it) gopped some Neosporin on it and she hung out inside for two nights. Put her back in yesterday and they seemed fine...not too interested. Well, just went out to a bloody mess. The hanging pc was bleeding profusely and she had blood all over her. Brought her back in and gave her a bath. The hanging part is not bleeding anymore, but I'm not sure what to do for her. She acts totally fine and even layed eggs the last few days. Would it be best to try and cut the hanging skin off? If so, how do I control the bleeding? I just wonder if it will always be an interest to the others and they will try and peck it. We have two roos too that I think might have started the initial cut....they grab onto what ever they can and seem to really prefer the BO's.
Thank you much for any insight you can give me:)) She is such a sweetie, I want to do what I can to help her blend in! LMK if a pic would help, and I can try to figure out posting one!

Michelle

I should have tried that when it first happened...thought about it too late. Now it's almost like the blood has pooled in the hanging skin and it's partially healed and hard feeling. Would it ever just fall off? I'm going to try and get a pic....

Thanks Mahonri:))

Back
Top Bottom