torn toe nail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimberly4403, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    My young wyandotte pulley has torn of her toe nail some how.. Ive been searching for what i should do but it seems i dont have any of the products mentioned except epsom salts and nothing to wrap it what should i do??

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Hello! I think the most important thing is to just make sure the "open wound" (place where toenail is gone) doesn't become infected. It won't hurt to just dip the foot/toe in Epsom Salt and water, just to flush out any junk in there. Do you have an old T-shirt and tape? If you do you can cut part of the T-shirt into shreds and then wrap her foot with the strips and tape it together. If you do this, just make sure to occasionally unwrap her foot to let air get to it. Hope this helps! :D

3. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015
    Its no longer bleeding its clotted over if i wrap it wont that make it inviting for the others to peck it atm there leaving it alone and if i do wrap it do i do whole foot or just around the toe?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My hen had a similar loss of a toenail, and she recovered without any treatment. She limped for a week and the toenail never grew back. A simple flesh-colored bandaid on the toe tip to keep it relatively clean, or a bit of iodine to it would be about all I would do. Many times these injuries are not seen until after the fact, and they do well.

5. henny1129

It's good that it's stopped bleeding. :) Most likely leaving it will make the chickens want it peck it more. They will see the red and immediately go after it, so wrapping will help. I would wrap the whole foot, just the one toe might make it a bit difficult for her to walk. :)

6. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015
    At the moment there leaving it alone and shes not pecking at it herself but if they do how do i wrap her foot do she san walk

7. henny1129

If they're leaving her alone now, she will be fine. But, if it does become a problem here's how :) :
    Once you have the T-shirt strips cut, take one and wrap it once around the foot. Then take another and wrap it around again just like the first. When you are wrapping, try to get the strips between each toe. On the toe that is missing a toenail, get a strip wrapped all the way up the toe and then a layer over the tip, like you would do for a finger. Hopefully to these instructions aren't to confusing! :) Here's a picture of what it should look like:
    [​IMG]
    Of course, this is with vet wrap, but it should look similar. And make sure on the injured toe that the T-shirt goes all the way up. Hope this helps! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by