Torn Vent: Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terra777, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Terra777

Terra777 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    Texas
    Long story short, I'm in need of some advice and pointers. My Americana Matilda was mutilated by my Drake. (He is not apart of this home any longer). She is a small chicken and her vent has been torn open. Not a prolapse, but literally torn into. She is doing better, I have kept her in for abut 5 days now and am continuing treatment. Warm baths, spray, and ointments. Tonight I was finally able to remove a part of scab from one of the sides. There is still one section that is slightly black and scabbed. I say black because a part of her tissue looks to be blackend. No obvious smell other than traditional chicken. I can't find information on this anywhere. I had one chicken before this prolapse and I had to euthanize her because I was not aware of what to do and found nothing but negative outcomes. I did find information on it now. Needless to say I researched and researched and now I can't find anything about this or anyone having a simliar experience.

Her vent muscle on top is still "alive" might I say. The muscle is still able to move but looks to have little control of it. The only way I can really describe it is that the eyelid of our eye has ripped apart on one side. She hasnt layed an egg but she doesnt lay often so I am unaware if she can still lay.

These are my serious questions.

What is the black skin represented of? Infection? Something else?

Can she live with a torn vent?

Any other info will help. Thank you!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The black skin is necrosis or dead tissue. While you are soaking her every day (Epsom salts, betadine, chlorhexidene, or Dawn are good,) with a small rag, gently rub on the black skin to try and remove it. Keep it moist with plain triple antibiotic ointment or A&D ointment. You are looking for pink tissue or a slight amount of bleeding to know you have done enough. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

3. Terra777

Apr 10, 2015
    Texas

Thank you! Will do. She liked her bath last night finally and was a very good girl being blow dried. I was so glad I finally got one clump off last night. She bleed and I just knew it hurt but she did so well. I will keep you all posted. I appreciate your response!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  4. Terra777

Apr 10, 2015
    Texas
    I got it all off!!! Poor girl, it was bleeding but thankfully clotted quickly. She was in pain because she tried to peck me afterwards while I was cleaning up droppings. She did not want me to go near that again! Hopefully just clean and doctor from hear out. I have a photo if what it looks like now. Little difficult to make out but hopefully enough detail.

Sorry for the graphic detail.

What do y'all think? Tissue looks good. Flap I don't think will close back again. Hasn't laid an egg yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually I think it could heal with time and keeping some antibiotic ointment on it. You did a great job at cleaning the dead skin off. I hope she does well.

6. Terra777

Apr 10, 2015
    Texas

Thank you, it has been healing rather well. The lower tear is completely closed and healed but the upper tissue is still in the healing process. The only thing now I'm concerned with is if an egg will be able to exit due to the scar tissue. She doesn't lay often so it's a waiting game.

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad she is healing well. Our dermatologist uses vitamin A&D ointment to help prevent scarring.
    You can stop her from laying with 16 hours a night of darkness in a dark room or covered cage, and reducing the amount and protein in her feed. It takes several days to achieve this. You can also get a vet to use suprelorin implants every 4-6 months to stop her laying.
    That said, she may do okay if she lays an egg. I would watch out for egg binding or prolapse once she starts back. How long has it been since she laid?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by