Torn

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Toshi, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    I should have moved them out sooner...But i just couldn't, it has been either raining or cold. Still i should have put them out into the barn.

My chicks are about 12 weeks old, the temp is maybe 36 outside right now. I have them somewhat covers up and a windblocker infront of them (they are in my barn) i also have a little lamp out there. Not a heat lamp just a lamp. It worries me becuase i don't wnat them to freazz to death or soemthing like that, but on the other hand if i move them in now then there is no way they will ever be able to get used to it. It is supposed to be about 35-40's as the low at nights pretty much this week, the 30's tonight and tomorrow.

This is their first night outside, am i just worrying to much? This is my first year with small chickens like that, last winter i had big birds an they were fine with the coold. But these are 12 week olds. What should i do? Leave them out, or bring them in and set myself back more? Should they be ok outside like that?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I'm not used to the cold since I'm born and raised in Florida. But from what I've read on here, they should be okay since they're fully feathered. Perhaps you can check on them a few times in the night, and if they seem entirely too cold or something, bring them back in. If they seem to be doing ok, then let them have the coop outside?

Whatever you decide, good luck! [​IMG]

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    They should be totally fine at 12 weeks. My standard size barred rocks went outside at 6 weeks (in GA) and my late fall hatch this year went outside at 4wks. They had a cold snap (down to 40 degrees) around 8wks old, only 75% feathered, and were fine.

If you've been feeding them grower feed they should have enough fat on them by now. It takes a lot to freeze a chicken to death.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I agree, they don't need heat or to be indoors. Just remind yourself that if they get too acclimated to warmth, they will suffer a lot worse when winter really sets in. It saddens me to hear of chickens in heated coops when the power goes out.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with everyone else. I live in Ohio and I have 13 week olds that have been out since they were 6 weeks. I also have a one 8 week old and five 6 week olds out now. No heat. They are in an insulted coop and they love going outside. I thought they were fat, but once I picked them up and looked at them, they are just heavily feather ad accumulating to the weather. At 12 weeks they will be fine. We too have been having bad weather, lots of rain and cold weather it went to just above freezing last night and everyone was fine. I just added a little extra straw for them to snuggled in.
    Michele

6. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Thanks!

I looked in on them three diffrent times last night they were all sitting on their perch, (i had to put them there at first) and all seemed fine. Went out this morning and they were still fine. Couldn't help but worry a bit becuase i know i wanted wayy to long to put them out. They don't have heat i just seta little light in there so they could get used to it at first, when i put them in the growout pen, my BR went nuts trying to get out, they stood in the corner for the longest time. None of my other birds done that during the summer, so thats why i thought they wouldn't do so good.

[​IMG] thansk y'all alot!

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Too late to give advice so I'll just say: ya did good - and they did, too! [​IMG]

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:Sending your babies out into the cold, cruel world is hard, but it has to be done. They made it through the night and you can go back to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by