Torpedo Eggs Followed by Cystic Right Ovary- Infectious Bronchitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmermama2384, Oct 30, 2016.

1. farmermama2384

farmermama2384 New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    About two weeks ago, I noticed that one of my Red Dorking girls (2 YO) had a really dirty butt, almost like the abdomen was sticking out under her vent and catching the poop. I shampooed her and her abdomen felt full and tight, but her little pelvic bones were separated so I thought her tummy was full because she was in lay. Fast forward to two days ago, she was walking pigeon-toed and couldn't fly up into the roost. Her abdomen was tight, the skin was red and stretched and many of her feathers were gone. The whole time, she was eating,scratching, grooming and socializing. However, since she couldn't roost and the condition seemed to be getting worse, we decided to euthanize her. We suspected internal laying.

When I cut into her abdomen during the necropsy, no less than a quart of clear fluid poured out of her right ovary, which was a sack attached to the rest of her reproduction system. There was no smell, no internal egg, no broken eggs etc. Her left ovary looked normal and had two nickle to quarter sized yolks in the strand. So, she had this GIANT cyst on her right ovary. One of our girls had been laying torpedo-shaped eggs, sometimes soft shelled, for awhile. I now suspect it was her.

Anyway, I start researching these cysts and came across Infectious Bronchitis as one of the causes of both cysts and the weird eggs. However, our chickens have NEVER been sick! I hatched them, reared them, and they are NPIP certified. There have never been any respiratory symptoms, no "sick" behavior. But now I am consumed with worry that my whole flock somehow secretly contracted IBV and I will have to get rid of all of them!

I know that IBV is highly contagious and would sweep through a flock, and what I read said that if it is only one chicken its probably not IBV. I honestly thought the egg issue could to attributed to nutritional deficiency, so I recently started giving a feed specially milled and formulated for breeders.

Can anyone calm my worried mind and describe IBV from their experience? Would it have been possible for the flock to contract it without as much as a sneeze? Or without widespread death? Is there a test for IBV?

I know that laying issues often follow IBV, but since it is winter and the birds are largely older or too young to lay, I have no reliable way to evaluate production right now. Their fertility is consistently above 80%, but hatchability has been down near 50%. I attributed that to the nutrition issues combined with the eroded genetics of this particular heritage breed. We are selectively breeding them to improve production traits and have been working to improve hatchability.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by