1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Torpedo eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mysterybirds, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Mysterybirds

Mysterybirds Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2007
    One of my gals is routinely laying long narrow eggs. Really narrow. Yesterday we got one that was so long that we can't put it in an egg box and close the top. It is twice as long as the other eggs (which are a good size) and a distinct torpedo shape (both ends taper, middle is widest point).

I'm curious as to whether this shape is associated with certain breeds or I just have a mutant loose in the flock.

2. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Have you cracked one yet?
    The ones I get that are like that are usually double yolkers, which is not exactly normal.

3. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    The aliens are coming! The aliens are coming!!

seriously though, you should find a roo that came from a torpedo egg and make a line of torpedo layers. [​IMG]

4. Mysterybirds

May 6, 2007
    Just to give you an idea of the size - the egg weighs about 3.25 oz.

Last I checked there were no emus in there but it was a mixed group of layers we bought...

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    What's the breed? I get some long thin eggs, too, and I think my Jersey Giants are laying them. They wobble around in the egg carton!

6. Mysterybirds

May 6, 2007
    I have two JGs, one black and one white. I've been thinking that it might be them as the started laying later than the rest.

7. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    This is funny because I have a torpedo layer, too; every once in a while one of my Dominiques lays the longest, skinniest eggs. They're comical looking! Still taste great, though. [​IMG]

Amy

8. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an Australorp who lays those too ! just her,not the other ones? curious isnt it...........going to have to get custom made cartons soon [​IMG]

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I have a Speckled Sussex pullet that does that. She's real skittish, so I figured she's just too "uptight" to lay a regular-shaped egg.

10. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I had a few of those and then they stopped and became "normal" shape. I actually like it so I can tell who is laying what,

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by