toss or let it be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thebulg, May 29, 2016.

1. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    about to go into lockdown, i did my final candling and air cell markings. only 5 eggs. all 5 had movement 2 days ago. one of them had no movement tonight, but the more concerning thing is that the air cell hasn't grown at all from the marking on day 12; it was the last one i candled, and immediately upon putting on the light i said to my husband "oh this one is going to hatch last" because you can still see veins on the side of the egg.

should i take it out? there is no smell.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I wouldn't toss it till after the hatch is done. If the air cell is that much smaller I would probably set it upright in a cut down carton in case it did pip and hacth.

3. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    upright, as in with the air cell facing up toward me?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yeah, pointy end down.

5. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    it was dead. ugh. nobody had externally pipped this evening, so i candled again. all of the veins in the egg were gone. completely. and there was still a very visible yolk. the air sac hadn't grown at all. so i started by opening the air cell, no movement, no sound, nothing. opened it up, sure enough, it stopped between day 14 and 15. not sure why. it would have been a really pretty chick. white down all over, and then a dark line down its back. the way it goes i suppose.

the other 4 eggs are all great, movement seen in all 4, one looks like it's either already internally pipped or that sucker is trying its hardest! so i will try to take what i can get!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by