1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tossed a dozen crickets into the pen, now THAT"s a happy rooster!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peacebird, Apr 28, 2007.

1. peacebird

peacebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    He had a field day! [​IMG] Then he stood beside where I had dumped them in and stared at me up on the porch stamping his feet as if to say "Hurry it up - I want MORE!"

LOL!

[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Isn't that the best!?

Mealworms are my personal favorite. They see that white tub and come RUNNING, heads ducked down and wings a flappin'! [​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I...ahem...Santa Claus, brought mealworms to Slifer and Obelisk for Xmas 05 and they thought those were awesome! Slifer liked the freeze dried, Nacho Cheese flavoured, Fear Factor ones the best though...[​IMG]

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    My DH came home from the bait shop the other day with a bag of 100 (approx) crickets for the chickens. He stood in the middle of the run and dumped out -- pandemonium ensued! Those birds went nuts! The crickets were gone in less than a minute [​IMG] Except for a few that managed to hide in some hay, but they were quickly dispatched within the next few minutes. What a treat for them!

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Oh, I have to try this on my girls!

6. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I am definately going to get them some crickets. There are plenty chriping round here at night. but they are all in bed by then

7. farmgalat heart

farmgalat heart New Egg

Jun 29, 2007
    Ever see how happy they are under a bug zapper? They come running the next am to "clean up."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by