tossing bedding out of nesting boxes!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mels16hens, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mels16hens

mels16hens Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    Our hens are tossing out all of their straw in their nesting boxes. They just started this annoying habbit a few days ago. They leave very little in the box and we have had one egg crack as a result. Any tips would be greatly appricated. This is our first flock!

2. Cplatt00

Cplatt00 In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    What do you use for nesting material?

3. graciesmum

graciesmum Songster

Apr 10, 2013
    shropshire, uk
    Mine used to do this, so I attached a piece of woof across the front, it acts as a barrier to help keep the bedding in

4. mels16hens

mels16hens Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    we too have a board across the front of ours amd they still do it

5. robthir

robthir Hatching

Apr 30, 2012
    I have nesting boxes on each side of the coop and they toss the bedding(straw) out of one side, but leave the other. They are pretty organized though, they only lay where there is bedding and there is bedding on the floor as well, so occassionally someone will make a place there. They've been doing it since the very beginning, so I stopped arguing about it. The only thing is, I have to clean those boxes without bedding more often than I have to clean the whole coop.

6. mels16hens

mels16hens Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    we use straw for the nesting boxes and wood shavings for the floor in the coop

7. CBartley

CBartley Hatching

Apr 26, 2013
    Our coop has straw in the nesting boxes; the floor is poultry mesh. To help with mud, the run has natural mulch. Do you think our girls will know to lay in the nesting boxes or will they lay in the mulch?

8. mels16hens

mels16hens Hatching

Jul 25, 2013
    our girls have layed in their nesting boxes with one exception. They seem to know where to lay.

9. kada6305

kada6305 Songster

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    My girls just started laying. They throw the straw out and refuse to lay in the nesting boxes. They lay in the nest the made out of the straw pile. But at least its in the coop!
    [​IMG]
    Where they are supposed to lay
    [​IMG]
    Where they actually lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: