1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Total Chicken Guilt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pcord, Jul 25, 2011.

1. pcord

pcord Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    So after cleaning up my gardens for the umpteenth time, washing poop off my patio and worrying whether or not they were on my neighbor's property I decided to revoke my chicken's free-ranging privileges. I went out this morning to change their water and food and like the bunch of jailbirds they are, tried to pour out of the coop, desperate for freedom. They have a wonderful run, about 75 sq ft+ per bird, lots of composted dirt on which to scratch, sun- in short they live better than some people in third world countries.

My problem is guilt. I know I shouldn't feel it but I do a bit. They're chickens after all and their fate could be a lot worse- like on Purdue's farm. I'm sure I will get over it- probably with every clean patio I see and pachysandra that actually still has it's roots in the ground- but for now I'm ashamed to admit I don't feel good about it.

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    You're farther along the cycle than I am. I'm still at the point where I love seeing my chickens out, and running down the driveway to meet me because I just MIGHT have treats. I'm sure I will get sick of chicken poop everywhere very soon, though...

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Two days and they will be fine, If you feel bad, let them out for an hour just before sundown.

Also make sure you have a couple different levels in your run, some roosts or branches or something, and shade. You might already have those things, but didn't mention it, but it does make it better for the chickens if you do. A pallet on two saw horses, works good for shade and an elevated platform.

I alternate with mine, some days they get out early, sometimes late, and sometimes not at all.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by