Total Chicken Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by heirloommaters, May 7, 2011.

1. heirloommaters

heirloommaters New Egg

May 7, 2011
    Hi! I've been poking around here a bit as prep for getting some chickens, about 12 Buckeyes who are to arrive in early June. And then...at the feed store today...there were two Ameracuanas and ten Rhode Island Reds who are about four weeks old. They were left over from an order someone did not pick up, and as I wanted older than chick size anyway, we took the plunge. Thankfully, we know the feed store folks, and we can pick them up Monday, which gives us a little time to convert a 10x13 shed into a coop. Nothing like imminent arrival to get your patootie in gear!

I'm wondering all sorts of things on new chickens, like how much protection we'll need for sure, how much free to have in my free range, and more! We're out in the country on a small heirloom tomato farm, so it is not like they'll bug anyone.

Where's the best place to start on here? Is there a Mother Hen section for newbies like me to get taken under someone's wing?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] So you are getting Buckeyes...interesting!

3. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    [​IMG] from NW Indiana
    Don't feel too bad. I'm not allowed to go into Tractor Supply unless I've got someone with me so I don't bring anymore home. I'm new to chickens also and have just fallen for them like no one's business....

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    You can check out my BYC page to see how I've been doing it for years. It' either the perfect way or the stupid way depending on who you ask!

5. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from SW Ohio!!

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds.

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! [​IMG] Welcome from western Kentucky! Glad you decided to join us. I like your idea about the "Mother Hen" section -- that's cute! [​IMG] There are lots of friendly helpful people here, and a veritable treasure trove of valuable info. Pull up a comfy chair and let's spend some cybertime among friends! [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good luck with your chicks [​IMG]

10. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Hi [​IMG] You'll find the anwers here.... just look around the site and enjoy those chicks !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by