1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

total enclosure or wire enclosure for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by new chick chick, Jul 23, 2011.

1. new chick chick

new chick chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I am in the process of making a larger coop out of the bottom of a playhouse. We put in a wooden floor and screened the entire inside of the enclosure with hardware cloth. We used the u shaped type nails to attach the cloth all around. There are boards all around with 1-2 inch spaces in between them. There is also a section at the top - close to where the hens would roost- that is 10 inches of wire - all around the entire coop. The wire covers all the spaces and there are no open spaces for predators. I put them in it tonight and then decided to put them back into their smaller coop which is totally enclosed, fort knox style. If I enclose the coop entirely it will be dark and won't have a lot of ventilation. Any advice on this? We live in a city in KY and we have possums and raccoons. Will they be safe at night in this type of enclosure?

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    It sounds like you did a good job predator proofing your converted playhouse. Is it weather proof? I know KY don't see severe winter weather, but it may be a consideration. Pics would help, although you gave good details.

3. new chick chick

new chick chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    For now I have a tarp over the top, but am planning on building a roof for winter. Also, in the winter I plan to screw plywood all around except for the 10 inch strip. I'll try to post pics tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by