Total Failure

Missy3b

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Central Missouri
Finally had to admit defeat and unplug my bator. Ordered 18 eggs from two separate BYC'ers and not a single one hatched. It was my first time ordering through the mail. I knew the hatch rate would be low but 0%? That's crazy. Now I am scared to order more. Someone please tell me they have had this happen and been brave enough to order more and had success the second time around.

My first three hatches i got nothing. You just need to hang in there, be patient, and try to learn as much as you can to make the next hatch successful. Even after many many hatches, i will still have some that are very disappointing. Don't give up!

Quote:
hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

Aww it will get better sorry that it happened
sad.png
I've had a few bad experiences when it came to incubating eggs. I don't know how many I bought off of Ebay and had 0% hatch or develop. If you want wait and then get some tester eggs from someone or try to get some eggs from a local farmer who has a rooster with the hens and try again. I know I didn't want to get back on the horse again after the ones I had didn't hatch
sad.png
but I tried again after awhile and had three hatch and now they are getting bigger yeah some of the eggs didn't finish developing or shrink wrapped or just didn't make it at all. But then I had some hatch and now I've got three more babies in the brooder.

It does get better
smile.png
I promise.... The good does outweigh the bad espicalley when you see them finally hatch its like come on little one come on. Its like there is some light at the end of the tunnel......
Sometimes I would have to take a step back and rethink every thing and I've had a lot of support from my husband and on here as well..
hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

hugs.gif

I wish I did know something that went wrong. That's my frustration. I guess it could be as simple as mailing error. It's just hard to swallow spending money on eggs and not getting anything. I would have been deliriously happy with even one.

Shipping eggs are always a gamble for me - yes I have hatched 0 out of 10 and 0 out of 12 before. My best hatches were 4 chicks out of hatched eggs. I have tried a few different breeds and from different breeders.

If you can, before having more eggs shipped to you - find someone local who you can get hatching eggs from - even if it is just mutts. Hatch these, to help give you some experience. Then maybe try shipped eggs again in spring.

If I had not had my own eggs to hatch - I would have thought the failure was mine - not the rough treatment given to the eggs by the PO. Shipped eggs for me always have broken air cells.

BlueBirdChick-

You might have a good idea. Maybe I should hatch out an egg from my girls, just to make sure the bator isn't the problem. I have used this kind of bator before but not this one specifically. Thanks.

Our first try

we got 12 eggs from mail. - Only 2 hatched on day 27 and day 28. They had to be helped from their eggs and are not the best birds but I love them.
I think we had issues with the temperature and Humidity. it is hard to get right. Hang in there.
We did get 4 healthy chicks from our Broody hen though.

Oesdog - Do try again !!!!!!!!!!! It takes time to get it right.

hugs.gif
Isn't it disappointing, getting that 0%? I had three 0% hatches and boy were they frustrating! But hey, since then my luck has improved and I've hatched a lot of cute and wonderful birds, so don't give up on hatching yet! Just keep being determined, trying different things, learning every time, and hoping that the post office is merciful on your eggs. Hatching some of your own first is a great way to go, too, so you learn from that experience and can tell when it's a shipping issue and when it's an incubation error.

Hang in there--you'll get your babies soon, and you'll be so proud when you do! It's totally worth the wait and disappointment of the failure hatches beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom