Total False Alarm - Package mix up!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickylou, Apr 13, 2009.

1. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Well, we surely got the chicky-peep blues today![​IMG]

I packed all my kids in the car for a long trip to buy special goat feed and especially to get our chick starter crumble. When we got to TSC they had loads of chickies in large bins with heat lamps and my children were enthralled.

First, I went to get the chick feed and found out there was none left! Couldn't believe it! So I pleaded with a worker who saved the day and went out back to a delivery truck that had pulled in, not too long ago. I was so relieved to see him carrying in a bag for me on his shoulders.

I pulled the kids away from the chicks and ducklings and said, "Come on guys! We'll be getting 15 of our own. Let's not man-handle these little ones." So my kids and I got back into the van and drove home with our goat feed and first ever bag of chick starter which to my kids and I was a herald for things to come. Cackle Hatchery had assured me they had gotten shipped today and they start this shipping process at 1:30 in the morning! WOW!

We must have had chicks on the brain because when we pulled into the driveway, THERE ON THE DOORSTEP lay a box! [​IMG] We all jumped out of the car like crazy lunatics and I carefully picked up the box. Since this is our first experience with shipped chicks we figured they must be pretty quiet in there. But we all swear at some point we heard chirping. There was even a hole poked in the box.

Well the long and short of it is that we ran around the house like a bunch of "chickens with their heads cut off" getting the brooder out, the heat lamp, filling the waterer with sugar water and filling the tray with food. I had kids flying all over the house getting me my chicken books. THEN the moment finally arrived. My son handed me a scissors and I cut the box open. But instead of chicks (who were all conspiciously quiet for some reason), we found two large packets of mortgage refinancing paperwork!!!! [​IMG]

BOOOO!!! We were shocked, and "not so" mildly disappointed!

It was a great lesson in "jumping to conclusions" and having circumstances seem to all match up, but with the wrong outcome (sounds like a broken engagement I had in college!).

So we await our precious package tomorrow! The kids were all praying for those little chicks tonight!

Life's like that! [​IMG]

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Hope they show up first thing in the morning. The PO will probably be calling you about 7:30 to come get them.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

My PO calls me when the chciks are in to come get them. I hope you let the PO know that you are expecting them.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

OOOOOOOOOOOOOh that totally stinks!!

What was that song? (I'm dating myself here) "Anticipation.........making me wait" I think it was by the Stones

PS was also part of a Heintz catsup commercial, lol

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At least you know you are ready.[​IMG]

6. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    ANTICIPATION! YUP! One of my favorites a long time ago...so I'm dated, too. [​IMG]

It was actually Carly Simons who sang it...same one who sang, "The Spy Who Loved Me."

That's what we feel like...SLLLOOOWWW KETCHUP!

We did call the post office, but for some reason everything seemed to click that I figured maybe our postwoman (nice gal) took pity on the chicks and brought them to us.

What a "Maaamaaaaa!" day. (That's how my kids would say it) [​IMG]

7. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

8. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry but that must have been a site to see.

The post office calls here too.

Good luck when they arrive!!!!!!!!!!! Then the really fun starts!!!! [​IMG]

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    What a bummer for you and your kids.

It might help to know that chicks come in boxes with holes in them and there will (better be) lots of peeping. If the box ain't peeping... don't open it in front of the kids. [​IMG]

10. JenMT

JenMT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Kalispell, Montana
    darn it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by