Total Heartbreak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jerry2009, Jul 19, 2010.

1. jerry2009

jerry2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    Been Pretty depressed the last few days...i was really excited about my little sweet white crested black polish pullet....her crest was filling out nicelly...unfortunatly the other chicks decided to peck her to death along with another golden laced pullet...i am actuallty disgusted with my flock right now..i will never see them the same way again... i tried everything...giving them more room, higher protein content, throwing greens... yet the pecking doesnt end ..if this situation doesnt get resolved i will personally peck all of them to death and never raise chickens again..sometimes you forget what little mosters they really are behing all the feathers,,

2. Cheeperpuff

Cheeperpuff New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    That is the way chickens work [​IMG] unfortunately...... Mine have never done anything like that before though so I don't know what it feels like I have had one of my first chicks fall out of the nest and freeze to death I blamed the mom for not saving her but it's just chicken nature [​IMG]

3. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    So sorry, jerry2009. How old are they? Were they all the same age and she was at the bottom of the pecking order? Were there just a couple of bullies or were they all pecking her? Take care.

4. jerry2009

Dec 14, 2008
    there all about 8 weeks... i was really excited cause im not really the "rare" chicken breed person because usually you get attached to them and they end up dieing..i had never given polish chicks a try..so i took the summer off from college to come back home and raise a flock...anyhow you know how theres that one chick in a flock that catches your attention...well that was her..she was the sweetest thing ever she actually flew to my lap and let me hold her all morning (like she felt it coming) ...later in the afternoon when i went back to check on them she has completely featherless and ripped open...they had pecked her to death and ate her....honestly im digusted with my entire flock...and they keep pecking each others feathers ...its not like i dont feed them or have them crowded...I probably wont be purchasing birds ever again...i hate getting attached to chickens...but something about this little pullet just made me really like her i cant even explain it... i try to forget it but im actually having trouble brushing it off...

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you have a red light over them? That might help.

One thing about chickens is that, if they see a wound, they will continue to peck at it, and they can become cannibalistic. Any chicken that is wounded needs to be removed from the rest of the flock. You may need to observe your chickens and find out which one is leading the attacks, and cull that one.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so terribly sorry - that is utterly awful [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    JJ

7. jerry2009

Dec 14, 2008
    No i dont use light..they have a large outdoor coop....i will definatly watch for the instigator...then throw him to the adult hens to be eaten.....no better yet ill eat him...no i cant do that..i guess ill just put him in a cage by himself.... with alot of mirror so he pecks his reflection all the time till his beack falls off....

8. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    sometimes when they peck at each other they know that they are sick if you dont use medicated chick starter you might want to give it a try

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm really sorry, Jerry-what a shame. [​IMG]
    I think sometimes chicks/chickens will peck at the heads of the crested breeds(Silkies, Polish, Sultans, etc.)-I guess just because they look different?

10. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Hi Jerry,

So sorry about your little chicken. I'm new to chickens & have never had anything like that happen to me. I would be upset & angry too. Hope you can find out which one is the ringleader & remove her from the flock.

Herself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by