Total Loss

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CMV, Jun 8, 2011.

1. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    We got our CXs about 2.5 weeks ago, and they were starting to grow out- with no losses at this point. I was very pleased. Things were looking good. We grow our meaties off-premises at a farm a couple miles down the road. Last year we had issues with the CXs over-heating, so this year the farmer had a new set-up ensured to be cooler. A different, older part of the barn was being utilized for housing the birds. I had my doubts about the security of the new set-up, but the owner worked hard to alleviate my concerns.

Unfortunately, it looks like I was right to be concerned. A weasel got into the barn 2 nights ago and wiped out our entire meat flock. All 62 birds were killed. We are still not certain how it got in, but it did its worst. We are out for the year. Then to add insult to injury, a couple hours later, I had (another) one of my free-ranging, laying hens disappear without a trace. A fisher cat, I am suspecting. It has been spotted a few times hanging around.

It's been a tough year for poultry keeping. So discouraging.

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I am so sorry for your losses!

Hope you are able to recoup soon!

What is a fisher cat? never heard of one of those...

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    So sorry for your loss - how devastating. This was one weasel or a pack of weasels? I know they are vicious. I have seen them wipe out a whole pond full of beautiful ducks for no reason than just to kill them.

deb g

4. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Sorry for the loss. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow - that really stinks! [​IMG]

6. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Quote:I think in many areas they are just called fishers - they are not a feline. A member of the weasel family I believe.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:It's a large weasel about the size of a house cat. Very sneaky and terrifically aggressive if confronted.

Deb- I'm not sure if it was one or more. I am not altogether certain how it even got in. There has to be a hidden tunnel somewhere. The section of the barn being used this year is quite old with many little nooks, a field stone foundation, partial concrete flooring, partial stone flooring... Typical New England barn that has been added onto and altered as many times as generations have owned it.

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    wow I am so sorry for your losses.

9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    So sorry for your loss. Weasels are blood suckers, usually killing and leaving bodies intact. One weasel can kill several fowl in a short time. I've never heard of 62 at once, so it's very likely more than one attacked.

10. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    [​IMG] so sorry !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by