Total Newbie, I know I will seem stupid/ but some questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by billharrison, May 23, 2018.

1. billharrison

billharrison In the Brooder

May 23, 2018
    Hi all, newbie here. I live in the city with a smallish (.15 Acre) yard. My son and I wanted to get some chickens but then I stumbled on this forum and found ducks. Found they were hardier, the eggs a little bigger and better, and not that I really plan on it but seems if we wanted to sell some they would be more valuable. We also would love to raise some meat birds. So far I am set on Muskovys and they seem like a good choice. Leaner, seems like decentish egg production. But would also like year round egg availability. They seem to lack there.

So any other suggestions for a good egg layer that does year round with good meat? Second choice looks like Pekins to me. We live in Ohio so the winters can be very cold at times. I am thinking 4-5 birds 1 male 4 females taking eggs and raising the rest to be eaten.

Any good rotation there? How often do I need to order in new birds to avoid genetic issues?

I basically want a self sustaining system that produces enough eggs and meat year round.

Also any suggestions on a coop thats small but enough for the birds and works well in a city setup? I would like something with plans we could build or could buy locally (tractor supply etc)

2. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    this question is not stupid! so happy to have you here! have you looked into Khaki campbells?

3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, what is your location please will help do you know if your city allows backyard birds ?

4. billharrison

May 23, 2018
    Akron, OH. Not sure if it does but hey, we will anyways. They dont allow bees either but our hives are doing well.

5. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

:woot:welcome:woot

6. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    LOL!!! :welcome:goodpost:

casportpony likes this.
  7. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    :welcome Only stupid question is the one that never get's asked.... fortune cookie 101! :D

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  8. casualty

casualty In the Brooder

May 16, 2017
    Personally, .15 acres isn't enough to consider getting birds. Even if you turn the entire yard into a run(not sure if ducks use runs), it's not going to be pleasant for your neighbors.

9. billharrison

May 23, 2018
    Hmm they didnt seem to take up a whole lot of space and its one bird per .05 acres per the state. But you dont feel thats big enough? Any specific reasons?

10. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    Chickens are addictive! it's called "chicken math" 1+1 more = 6 or 7 maybe more!:th ducks too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: