total newbie.... my 15 yr old son has interest in having chickens for egggs.. will this structure wo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by j72397, Jun 6, 2016.

1. j72397

j72397 New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    This is a large area fenced with an old dog house. It is empty inside. What would I have to do to make this structure work for about 5 chickens?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'd suggest posting your question in the "coops and runs" forum, including dimensions of the structure, for the best advice. Also include where you live, as prevailing weather conditions can also be a factor in design.

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rule of thumb 4-5 sq.feet per bird in the coop excluding nest box and roosts, and 10 sq.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Also they would need ventilation - and doors that can be closed up at dusk to keep predators out.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sure the peeps in the coop and run section will able to help you out.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi and welcome.

As well as the previous suggestions about ventilation and doors, it would also probably be better raised off the ground by a couple of feet to prevent rats nesting underneath and to give the chickens some shelter/shade under it and to make cleaning out a little less of a back breaking job. Roost bars with pull out poop boards underneath to catch the majority of droppings certainly makes mucking out easier too and of course, a couple of nest boxes for 5 chickens should be enough.

Good luck to you and your son in your new enterprise

Regards

Barbara

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That dog house does have great potential for a coop-conversion. they'll need something to roost on, ventilation and nest boxes in there. Space would be an important consideration here as well. If you post some more pics and details in the Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance forum section, we'd be able to advice you more.

8. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    What are the dimensions of the dog house?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by