total newbie question time!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hensdeliverthegoods, Dec 28, 2007.

1. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I'm thinking I already know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyway. My plan is to have all hens because I don't want to irritate the neighbors with a roo's crowing. But I wish I could have a rooster, so is there any particular breed that doesn't crow much - or has a quiet crow?

Please don't laugh at this former city girl! [​IMG]

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    [​IMG]

3. lannabun

lannabun Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    indiana
    humm my gaint cochin (jasper ) hes a blue and he dont crow much .. really i think i have heard him once in 4 months ?? jefferson is my big buff one and well hes vocal but to treats .. and only crows when my ee stands next to thier pen door crowing ..

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My polish rooster only crows when he sees me first thing in the morning, I never hear him during the day or night otherwise. He's almost 5 months old now and just really started to crow regularly last week.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Each Rooster is different, there is really no way to say which breed will be more quiet than others, you just have to try it out.
    Here is a post I made on Keeping Roosters in the City. I hope it helps you. Be sure to find out if they are prohibited before you get one. My roosters are active cowers in the morning and before sundown. They really only crow during the day when they are disturbed. I think roosters get a bad rap as being really noisy and unless you have a bunch of them they are relatively quiet.

Good Luck

Oh and if you are going to get one get a blue Langshan, gorgeous!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Some people have had good luck bringing them in at night and keeping them in a dog crate then taking them back outside after 7 am when noise ordinances are lifted.

We aren't allowed to have roosters either, but we just went around to all the neighbors when we figured out one of ours shes was a he. We introduced them to "Baby" and asked if his crowing was bothering him and they all loved him and wanted to hold him..... except one.

She wanted to know if he was a dog [​IMG] [​IMG]

But you really can't even hear him through the coop walls and through the house walls. You would really have to be listening for him. And he is about 10 feet from my bedroom and 15 feet from the neighbors.

Good Luck
    Suz

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:That's just as bad as the person who grew big eyes and an excited expression, ran up, and asked if I had a monkey... I was holding a buff silkie at the park.

8. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    it could have been worse. you could have been holding your child.

9. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's just as bad as the person who grew big eyes and an excited expression, ran up, and asked if I had a monkey... I was holding a buff silkie at the park.

You mean silkies aren't related to monkeys? [​IMG]

*runs and hides from those strange silkie people*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by