Total Newbie, what breed are our girls?

Orchardchicks

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Hello there,

The school I work in adopted 3 gorgeous hens 3 weeks ago. They are just starting to lay and are already beginning to show great personality's. However I am new to this and am learning along with the children. When asked what breed they are I am completely clueless. I have looked online and have a couple of possibility's for each but don't know which ones which. I first thought the white chick was a Light Sussex but was told she could be a Delaware.

Could anyone help me please.
Thanks.
hu.gif

I would vote on red sex link (Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown etc), The second seems to have a single comb so could be something like a Silver Sussex cross looking at the white legs, and with three would actually go with Light Sussex with the really pink/white legs she seems to have. Pretty girls, you have a nice colorful flock there.

welcome-byc.gif

First bird is a red sex link. They're wonderful layers of nice large brown eggs.

The second bird, I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with silver Sussex, so can't say one way or another. My first thought was mixed breed, maybe with some silver laced Wyandotte a few generations back (wrong comb and leg color for Wyandotte, and really poor lacing). Two common breeds with white legs are Sussex and Orpingtons, and she doesn't look like an Orpington.

The last bird looks to be a light Sussex--good job! Delaware hens have yellow legs.

First hen looks like a Red Sex-link (Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Isa Brown, etc.). RSLs are excellent layers of large brown eggs, and are generally docile pets. I'm not sure on the second hen; I've never heard of a Silver Sussex. If not a Silver Sussex, I would guess some sort of mixed breed, maybe with Silver-Laced Wyandotte being crossed in. She should be a good layer of brown eggs, whatever her specific breed/cross. Your third hen appears to be a Light Sussex. Sussex and Delawares look similar, but Sussex have white or pinkish legs, and Delawares have yellow legs. Another good layer of brown eggs.

Also,
welcome-byc.gif

First hen looks like a Red Sex-link (Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Comet, Isa Brown, etc.). RSLs are excellent layers of large brown eggs, and are generally docile pets. I'm not sure on the second hen; I've never heard of a Silver Sussex. If not a Silver Sussex, I would guess some sort of mixed breed, maybe with Silver-Laced Wyandotte being crossed in. She should be a good layer of brown eggs, whatever her specific breed/cross. Your third hen appears to be a Light Sussex. Sussex and Delawares look similar, but Sussex have white or pinkish legs, and Delawares have yellow legs. Another good layer of brown eggs.

Also,
welcome-byc.gif

X2.
welcome-byc.gif

First is definitely Red Sex Link, also called Red Star or Comet (I myself own 3 of these sweet hens, great layers and super friendly), I'm not sure about the second.. possibly a cross. The third, I'm not 100% sure either but I'm gonna go with Light Sussex.

Welcome to BYC!
:welcome

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your help. I can now get informing the children. I will settle for a cross for now with the black chicken but will keep hunting. Loving BYC!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom