Total newbie with question on aquiring chicks...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tigertrea, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I am seriously considering starting raising my own chickens. I have one basic question. How to go about getting chicks? I have seen some ads in my area for chicks. The problem is they are all for unsexed chicks. I don't know if getting unsexed chicks is a good idea. What do I do with roos? I don't want to keep any yet. So I just buy a few more chicks then I think I want then cull the roos? If yes, when?

Could you help me please? How did you start? What was your biggest mistake with your first chicks?

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Why don't you look into pullets( young birds), or full grown hens? That way you can be sure to get hens, and you don't have to wait 4-6 months for them to start laying. If you do get unsexed chicks, you can sell or give away the roos, but just be warned that most people will eat them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Check your local farm/feed/pet store (not petsmart). Ours in town gets their birds from ideal on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I actually want roos, so was disappointed to find they are ONLY ordering in pullets.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I have no problem putting them in my freezer. We do plan on, eventually, having both meat and egg birds.

5. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    The larger hatcheries, usually places you will have to have chicks shipped from, often have the ability to sell you chicks that have already been sexed.

Kaitie09's suggestion is a great one, especially if you want to just start small, since many times you have to order a minimum of 25 chicks to have them shipped to you from some of the largery hatcheries.

6. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Well then, go ahead and get unsexed chicks from a feed store, and just butcher the roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by