Totally amazed by rooster's behavior!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Aug 21, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I went out to give my girls some muscadine grapes I picked and I put about 20 of them in the run. My rooster made sure each hen got a taste. He would pick up the grapes and give them to the hens who are lower in the pecking order. Some he would actually let take the grapes out of his beak. He was making sure everyone got a taste of this yummy treat. I am so amazed and really proud that he is acting like such a gentleman! It was the neatest thing to watch!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Some roos are so sweet! [​IMG] so glad DH decided to relent so I could get them:jumpy

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    WOW what an awesome rooster. It is so nice to hear good rooster stories. Give him some extra treats and love.

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    That is amazing! How old is he? My roo gobbles everything up before the lower chickens get a chance at it!

5. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    I so wish I could have a rooster! But I'm in town and they are FORBIDDEN....which makes me want one even more. But we are on good terms with the neighbours and I don't want to tick them off, so no roos until we can realize our "5 year plan" to get 5 acres out in the country.

6. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:He is around 20 weeks old. The other roo I have gobbles everything up, chases the hens, chases me and is now going to be stew. I am hoping this behavior continues he has seemed to out grow the gobble up everything stage. The funny thing is his name is Stew because I thought he was going to be the one we ate because the other roo was my sons pet.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My free-ranging game rooster has taken over care of his juvenile offspring. The juveniles are well beyond being brooded by hen but they still get parental investment. Father will give them large katydids he catches even though the juveniles are nearly 1/2 grown and can catch them on their own. He also defends their interest when his offspring are in a conflict with other free ranging groups.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As aggravating as a 'bad' rooster can be, a 'good' rooster is a joy to have around. When there are such good roosters in existence, I fail to understand why human/hen roosters are tolerated? Like begets like.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by