Totally bare butted baby!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peterlund, Nov 22, 2011.

1. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Well, she is almost 2 now. Her backside (at the fuzzy butt area) is lacking all the fuzzy butt feathers. It is a pink glowing round featherless wonder. She is fine. Eats drinks is social I never see anyone pecking at her (I have about 16 birds int his coop) free ranges etc. Does she have pattern baldness? [​IMG] No Mites, that I know of. BO bird (I think). Any clues? [​IMG]

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Perhaps she is allergic to something?
    No idea thats odd o_O

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She's probably molting.

I have seen some hens pluck feathers from their rears and bellies and leave them in the nest for cushion.

4. peterlund

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    She has been like this for about a year now. Long molt! [​IMG]

5. peterlund

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Oh well.... Maybe she just is an upside down naked neck. As long as she isn't in distress, I will let her be!

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She's getting/used to be getting picked on. I have one that looks just like her. Unfortunately, it seems to take forever for those bare butts to regrow feathers. My worst afflicted bare butt is still bare after most of my other girls have molted. I was really hoping she would grow some feathers back, but no go. I think the butts also tend to get ammonia burned from their stools, which I am convinced slows the feather re-growth process.

Good luck with yours and wish me luck with mine. It's getting cold here and mine is in danger of freezing her butt off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by