Totally Confused - pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bigbob7777, Jan 12, 2013.

1. bigbob7777

bigbob7777 New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Western NC
    Please help. I always overthink things; and I know this isn't rocket science. So, here goes.

I am building a storage building - chicken coop - rabbit hutch - workshop - garage, all in one. I am gonna try to post some photos. I am in the final framing stage; so, I can still make limited changes. The coop area is 6 x 8 and will lead into a 200 sf run area. I plan on having 6-8 chickens.
    [​IMG]
    Outside

[​IMG]
    Outside looking into coop. 4 ventilation holes at top (will be screen covered); 2 on each side.

[​IMG]

Inside the coop will be 4 nesting boxes. This is the cutout for this and a window.

[​IMG]

There is a linoleum floor for preservation and cleanup. So, my questions are:

1. Looking at the last photo, the roosting area will be at the right. How far off the ground should the roost be?

2. Can I use the deep litter method? How much material initially on the floor? Can I put a poop box also under the roost using sweet PDZ? Or, is that overkill. Since this is inside a larger building, I definitely want to keep the smell down. There will be a powered attic fan.

3. Any other suggestions for this coop? Should I panel the inside to help preserve the studs from pee spray? I don't want to be replacing wood every few years. Insulation? I live in Western NC. Mid teens are normal every so often; single digits maybe 2-3 times a year. The ceiling will be covered to keep any smell from permeating the rest of the building (hopefully).

I'm sure there will be more Q's later. But this will start. Please help.

2. FenikT

FenikT Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    There are a lot of opinions of how high a roost should be. If you aren't dealing w/ bantams, then up to 3x the birds adult height is the minimum I would go with avg size birds. Lighter, smaller birds tend to be able to jump/fly higher vs. a fat RIR for example. BTW, a bantam could reach a roost premised on the 3x recommendation of a larger bird. To consider down the road when aging or pleasantly plump birds may have more difficult times roosting. Roost height is also largely dependent on predatory threat as well (the higher the better per se). Will you have a tiered roost system or just a single bar at max height? Birds tend to prefer the highest point in the coop roost-wise. Plus, some birds like company on the roost while others want some space. Better to offer some height choices, as long as a lower roost is not directly under another one (which could result in poop head on the lower roosting birds).

As for using the DLM, a minimum of 2-3" of material on the floor would be a good start point. It seems like overkill if you're doing DLM and a poop box (which defeats the purpose of DLM). If using DLM, occasionally overlay fresh material (e.g., pine shavings). This will help to absorb moisture, cut down on smell, and assists in the composition of waste. It will also stimulate the birds to scratch and natural till the floor material.

If you plan to insulate, I would recommend a solid foam insulation vs. a fiberglass fluff insulation. I say this in the event of a mite or pest infestation, fiberglass insulation can serve as a cozy hiding place which makes it nearly impossible to purge the pest(s) from inside the coop. I would only insulate external walls and perhaps the underlying coop roof. Walls adjoining interior spaces don't necessarily benefit from insulation. As far as paneling, I'd refrain from it for the same reason as using fiberglass insulation (e.g,. limited access, good place for pests to hide).

Just be sure to have plenty of draft-free ventilation. If a window is available, a south facing one would be most beneficial. Shade it in the summer and let the light in during winter. An easy way to do this is to plant a deciduous shrub outside the window. Leaves will shade the window in summer and after leaf drop, winter sun comes in.

3. For question one I say about 27 inches people might think something else though . They like it high well mine do anyway but then my dad lowered it alot to fit the nesting boxes so now they just climb on and they don't even need to jump and they hate it so they sleep were it was higher up.

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hi there bigbob. My bantam coop is approx the same size as yours. I use deep litter and have a droppings board w/stall dry under the roosts. I built the board under the roost so I could reach all the way to the back to clean it every morning. (I am 5'3). I use 1 whole bag of large chip pine shavings to start with or more if needed to make it about 6-8 inches deep. I only clean that out entirely once a year. I don't have any smell in my coop and I dont have it insulated. The entire south facing part of my coop is hardware cloth and stays completely open all year round. The only time I close the front door is if the temp gets around 0 F and its windy. Otherwise its very comfortable inside. My bantams are quite clean and laid back so they dont make too much of a mess on any walls. Dont know about larger chickens tho. Hope that helps. Your coop looks like its turning out very nice. Please post more pics as you go.

For the deep litter I meant to say 4-6 inches deep. Not 6-8

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    NICE building!! I am 'new' to chickens, mine were born in June, have learned so much on this board:) Just wanted to share what I have learned ..My first chicken area is a 4+x12 area in my Dutch Barn, I have 9 standard sized chickens..I had the nesting boxes below the poop board/roost and while they were at an ok height, I was finding my chickens didn't particularly like the heigh of the roost,,so I added another roost/poop board lower, that I find they jump up on and then up higher.

Ok, my barn got demolished in Storm Sandy, all that was left standing was the chicken area (probably because I had a loft in it)..I am rebuilding and expanding my chicken area to 8x 12.. So while I am waiting for Spring, I came up with this design and my husband built it ..I am very happy with it, tho I will have to bend over to grab eggs out of the nesting box..no big deal..

This is before the chickens:) The nesting boxes were blocked up because the chicks were babies..but you get the idea..

[​IMG]

This is the one my husband just built. It's 8 feet long, 7 inches off the ground to the nesting boxes, another 16 to the poop board/roost will go on top of poop board. I just think combining everything utilizes space better
    [​IMG]

Diane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by