Totally disgused.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Aug 12, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I have had one bad hatch after another. I just candled at 8 days... only 2 out of 24 are developing... and they were two that I wasn't even all that interested in. I think it is too darn hot to ship eggs right now. The things probably cooked in the USPS truck. I have spent a FORTUNE and, yet again, have nothing.

Sorry, just venting, but we lost our entire flock of 40 birds to predators and MG that we contracted from purchasing an adult bird (MISTAKE on our part), and my last hatch of 18 eggs gave us ONE lavender orpington. One lonely chick living in the house, who has never even seen another chicken. I am so upset I just want to cry [​IMG]

Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive source of lavender orps, black copper marans, speckled sussex, or silver laced wyondottes that are NPIP and preferably also MG neg certified? I've lost all our birds (even our guineas!), blown all our money, and I would really like to have adults by spring. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know which Fayetteville you are in, but you might try looking in your state thread in the Where am I? Where are you? Forum and posting there. You have a pretty good chance of finding someone local so you can drive to them and get the eggs for hatching or maybe get chickens if you want to try that again.

3. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Try searching you local Craigslist for sellers of fertile hatching eggs. I have found some breeders that way.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:Oh wow!
    I'm so sorry! I would be devistated if I lost all of my birds. If you lived closer I would let you come buy some of these Keets since I have about 20 of them. (Don't really want 20 BUT the hatchery messed the order up and sent the kind I didn't want so they reshipped them so I have more than I wanted.. Sigh..)

Have you talked to Nancy Garry? (bargain on BYC.) She has all of those except for the Wyandottes.

ETA: I just saw you are in Georgia! Nancy has guineas too! You might wanna get in touch with her. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2011
  5. koda55533

koda55533 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2011
    I would go to your local farmers markets and ask the people that are selling eggs if they would mind selling you fertile eggs if they have a rooster. you might not get the breeds you want but at least you'll have chickens and who doesn't like that?!?!?!?!

6. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I think that Red Roof Hens outside of Hamilton GA has some lavender orp chicks. At least she did last week when I was there.

I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by