Totally Inept Rooster???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wbruder17, Jul 19, 2011.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So I have a 4 month old Mille Fleur D'Uccle Roo. He crows and all, but seems to have no clue about mating or what his job is as a rooster. Granted, he is in a flock of 20 chickens, only 5 of which are anywhere close to his size. (2 silkies, 1 cochin bantam, and 2 OEGBs.) One of my chickens is a 10lb brahma. He is my only roo. We kept him becauuse he is small and hiis crow is very cute..not obnoxious and loud.

However, I just gave away a 2 month old roo mutt (polish crested/ brown leghorn cross) who was crowng like crazy AND mating like crazy.

What's the deal with Feisty? Is he just too small/young to do the real job of a roo? He doesn't even seem to care if the girls find their own food (my other roos have chirped like crazy to tell the ladies about tender morsels). He doesn't crow often at all (thank goodness) and actuallly doesn't even like to leave the run to free range when the girls go out.

I guess it really doesn't matter all that much, but it was nice to see my other roos take care of their ladies and Feisty doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself.

Just wondering what his issue may be. Ideas?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would think he is just a pimply insecure adolescent. Testosterone kicking in, but not yet up to the max. The big girls probably look a bit intimidating right now, but in a short while they will look irresistible. i have a NN roo who was pretty passive around my Brahmas initially, but now he sprints after them as soon as they leave the coop (and always catches them as they cannot run as fast as him).

Time will tell, but in a month or so I think he will be behaving like the king of the castle.

3. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Might not have reached adelesence yet

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    He's only four months old. Give him some time. He's still a cockerel and not ready to do a rooster's job yet.

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    my cockerel tried to mount a full grown hen at 3 weeks old. he got his butt kicked.

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    That's what I thought. I will prrobably be kicking myself for even asking when he turns into a true Napoleon.

7. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    @Roo: Oh man, seriously? That's hilarious!! Wish I could've seen it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by