Totally new & preparing for new chicken family. First coop build. Suggestions and opinions sought.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yolk-a-motive, Aug 11, 2013.

1. yolk-a-motive

yolk-a-motive Out Of The Brooder

Looking for suggestions and opinions & suggestions or things we may have forgotten

Side 1 is clear plexi glass and has perch behind it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

side 2 has vent and chicken door ( chicken run will be added to this side)

[​IMG]

Side 3 has vent. Still needs flap to cover nesting area. 3 nesting boxes & small storage space under nesting boxes.

[​IMG]

Side 4 (large hinged wall to allow for easy cleaning.)

Roof still to be added that will also be on hinges for ventilation in the summer.
    Wheels will be attached and a chicken run added as will a flap to cover chicken nesting area.

Suggest away : ) ....

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Looks pretty good to me! How many hens will it house? Recommended coop size is 4 sq. ft. per bird. Looks about like a 5' x 5'? Also, it seems like you have one or two too many nest boxes. I have 18 hens with 6 nest boxes but they only seem to lay in 3 of them. I say that just to free up some room. Also, make sure the plexi-glass side doesn't catch too much sun - might get a little toasty in there. Good luck to you!

3. yolk-a-motive

yolk-a-motive Out Of The Brooder

Yes it about 4X5. Perhaps we can redo the nest area and free up some more room. We were hoping for 3,4 or 5 hens depending on size of the birds and we are unsure how big to make the run so its roomy yet wont give me a stroke when I attempt to move it.

So more nest boxes doesn't + more eggs?? ; )
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by