Totally new to chickens!! lol

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smuggles, Feb 19, 2012.

1. smuggles

smuggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    My husband brought home 3 chicks for an early Valentine's present on Feb 4th. All we know is that they are bantams. I'm hoping now that they are almost 3 wks old, that maybe y'all can help me figure out what they are.

After the 2 trio pictures you will find Popper, which I'm thinking is either a blue cochin or a porcelain d'uccle. I hope you can see the blue/grey color that it is, and the feathers seem to be coming in as a greyish white. Is that the start of that chick's wattles too, that I'm seeing? Next pictures are of Happy, which I'm thinking is a black frizzle cochin, based on the way the feathers just look all messed up and sort of curling at the ends. I have no clue on what Alvin, the last pictures is. Alvin looked like a chipmunk, but the feathers are coming in reddish speckled, really pretty. Maybe a partridge wyandotte or a b b red?
    I have no idea if they are pullets or cockerals either. I'm guessing that the two cochins are going to be roos and the clean legged is going to be a hen. lol But who knows...would love to see what your guesses are on the breed and gender. Can't wait to see what y'all come up with! Have a great day y'all!!!! And thanks in advance!
    Jen in Tx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    they are still quite young yet to tell, but I will give it a go!

I see a roo in the first picture (Popper), who looks like he may be a blue cochin, and for now, I am going to say the other two are girls. Your frizzle has an awful red comb for three weeks, so she may be a he, but my frizzled cochin had qite a healthy red going on from a young age, and appears to be a girl now.

Your third chick looks like it may be a welsummer pullet, but then again, there are so many breeds that look like that as babies...I know wellie bantams are more readily available than other bantie breeds from hatcheries though...

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    popper looks to have middle to feaathering and with that really red comb starting so soon i think HE is a d'uccle (could be wrong but d'uccles are the olny chickens i really know that should have middle toe feathering).

black one looks like a cochin

last one idk my guess would be an oegb lol

4. smuggles

smuggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    [​IMG]Update on my chickens! Last time I posted, I only had 3 bantam chicks, one I thought was a Porcelain D'Uccle, Black Cochin Frizzle and an unknown. I believe now that the one that I think is a Porcelain is a Roo as well as the Black Frizzle. one or both started to try to crow the other day, and it just totally cracked me up!!!
    Still don't have a clue about the unknown one that we named Alvin. I also added 2 more bantam chicks, all were from the same shipment at the feed store, so it's believed that they are all pretty much the same age. But Penny looks to be a Red Frizzle, but don't know if she's a pullet or a roo. And Fiona, is an unknown like her/his buddy Alvin. I'm hoping maybe y'all can put a breed to them now that they are a little older, and maybe can tell whose a roo and whose not. lol
    They finally made the move from the aquarium to their newly built coop/run, last night!! Yay, no more chicken's in the front room of the house! lol
    It looks like they are loving every minute of being outside and seeing their new environment. It's great to see them running around and flapping those wings. I'm sure going from a 20 gallon aquarium to a their covered coop area that is probably at least 5 times bigger plus have a place to run and scratch in the grass has made for an exciting day for them. I bet they sleep great tonight! Wondering at what point that beginner crow turns into a REAL crow.
    Thanks for your thoughts on what you think these chickies might be. ;-) I never thought chickens would be so entertaining! They are just so silly sometimes! lol

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i tooks to me u have 3 boys. The red frizzle, black frizzle, and blue unknown lol

6. smuggles

smuggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    Oh gosh, 3 ROO's!?!? What on earth does one do with 3 BANTAM roos? lol Any clue on what the "clean legged" are, breed wise?

7. stephanie1992

the dark one looks like a welsummer or dark cornish..hard to tell its color from pics. what kind of comb does the blue with red lacing have.id say blue laced red wyandotte but i cant see its comb

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. smuggles

smuggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    Tried to get some better pictures, so hard to hold them AND take a picture! lol Thanks again, I hope these pictures are better. If not, I can go try again. Love playing with them! ;-)

Here's Happy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Popper, I can't believe how thick his chest feathers are!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Penny? I'm hoping that she's a hen, her comb is lighter than Happy's, and both the comb/waddles developed slower than the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alvin or Alvinette? Can't really see it in the pictures, but there is some blue mixed in there too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fiona? If she's a HEN, lol Love the coloring of her feathers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. smuggles

smuggles New Egg

Feb 19, 2012
    What kind of combs are on the clean legged? Rose?

10. stephanie1992

there combs look like pea combs. the black clean legged is a dark cornish. the other could be a cornish also.... the last may also be a boy. looking at the red coming in on its sholders

all the cochins and the unknown one have single combs

take a look here
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html

Oh how old are they?? 3 months or so??

penny looks girlish... but thats a big comb...keep an eye on Penny and Fiona

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by