Totally new to chickens, wondering what breed this one is

beaniezotzim

Hatching
Sep 24, 2021
Hi! New to the chicken world. In love with my 6 random birds from tractor supply. I’ve been able to (I think) identify the breed of all but this little gem. Tractor supply had all of their breeds in one brooder bin, so the description of what we were getting wasnt on the label. Remember, I’m new to this so please forgive my lack of understanding what I was doing when we got them. We got 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 barred rocks, one happens to be a meat bird -some kind of ranger. And this last one is a mystery to me. They are (we think) between three and four weeks old. Any ideas? I’ve looked at welsumer, rainbow Dixie, easter egger, but honestly I don’t know the small nuances to these birds in order to make a declaration. This bird doesn’t seem to have a defined comb yet, and is bigger than the rest of the birds who all have some sort of comb coming in. Personality wise, this one seems more shy, runs away when trying to pick her up, cries a lot when I hold her, but is perfectly happy to sit on my lap without being held. And the legs are a greenish grayish color.
Hoping to get some sort of idea, thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• F26CBA7E-6179-4773-B652-2F89D62944ED.jpeg
    F26CBA7E-6179-4773-B652-2F89D62944ED.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 563CD71B-4638-4723-94E1-2961B40B412F.jpeg
    563CD71B-4638-4723-94E1-2961B40B412F.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 10
  • F0CED13B-F427-4CAD-8465-852B57176CCB.jpeg
    F0CED13B-F427-4CAD-8465-852B57176CCB.jpeg
    676.5 KB · Views: 12
  • B05B5781-53B0-40B1-9CAB-7827AA6EDF5C.jpeg
    B05B5781-53B0-40B1-9CAB-7827AA6EDF5C.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FF1D960B-8039-4971-BB10-BD8EB884E677.jpeg
    FF1D960B-8039-4971-BB10-BD8EB884E677.jpeg
    778 KB · Views: 11
Thank you! What about this bird helps you to identify as an Easter Egger? I find this all very fascinating, but overwhelming at the same time! 😬

I say Easter Egger because:

--pea comb, which is found on relatively few kinds of chickens. Comb types are easier to identify on adult chickens, but with practice you can usually learn to recognize it on chicks as well. A single comb sticks up and looks a bit like a comb you might use on your hair, with the tines pointing up. It is the most common kind of chicken comb. A pea comb is much lower and a bit wider, and often (but not always) has three rows of little bumps that look like peas (like the vegetable called peas.) Some chickens have a rose comb, which is even wider and flatter than a pea comb, and does not get tidy rows of bumps. There are a few other comb types, but those three are the most common.

--muffs (puffy feathers on the sides of the face.) Relatively few breeds have these, and to have both muffs and a pea comb means either Ameraucana or Easter Egger.

--color. Ameraucanas come in specific colors, while Easter Eggers can be any possible chicken color. This chick does not appear to be any of the colors that Ameraucanas can be, which means it's an Easter Egger.

--source. Pure Ameraucanas are fairly rare, and you typically will not find them in a bin at a store. Easter Eggers are quite common, so that's probably what you have.

So I think your chick is an Easter Egger. They are generally nice chickens: pretty, good tempered, good layers of pretty colored eggs, as healthy as any other kind of chicken. (Most will lay green eggs, a few will lay blue eggs, and a few will lay brown eggs.)

Hi! New to the chicken world. In love with my 6 random birds from tractor supply. I’ve been able to (I think) identify the breed of all but this little gem. Tractor supply had all of their breeds in one brooder bin, so the description of what we were getting wasnt on the label. Remember, I’m new to this so please forgive my lack of understanding what I was doing when we got them. We got 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 barred rocks, one happens to be a meat bird -some kind of ranger. And this last one is a mystery to me. They are (we think) between three and four weeks old. Any ideas? I’ve looked at welsumer, rainbow Dixie, easter egger, but honestly I don’t know the small nuances to these birds in order to make a declaration. This bird doesn’t seem to have a defined comb yet, and is bigger than the rest of the birds who all have some sort of comb coming in. Personality wise, this one seems more shy, runs away when trying to pick her up, cries a lot when I hold her, but is perfectly happy to sit on my lap without being held. And the legs are a greenish grayish color.
Easter Egger!

Yup an EE!:)

Back
Top Bottom