Totally noob chicken farmer wanna be NEEDS HELP with coop design

Chicchiricchich

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Oh so I'm fairly new on BYC, for various reason I would like to have a chicken coop & run in my backyard, the plan is to have 6 to 8 hens, initially for eggs eventually add couple meat chicken.
First problem: I have 0 nada zip squelch building skills, ask me how to assemble a PC or a Server or how to take apart a laptop and I will be all over it but construction??? nope not me...
Second problem: coop has to have some sort of appeal otherwise wife will veto it ....
Third problem: got to do it on a budget... can't use paycheck money ..... but extra money that wife is not aware of .. it's ok LOL
So with all this in mind where should I start? I've already poured over the gazzillion coop designs on BYC and everything looks great but don't feel like I can put one together.... should I purchase a plan? I see plenty of those listed online.... what are the minimum size for a coop for 6 to 8 medium sized chickens?
Thank you all
By the way I live in Charlotte NC

I have breeder coops that house up to 8 chickens with plenty of space. They are 4x8 and very simple. They are not fancy by any means but they work well for my needs. They take 10 2x4x8's and 5 sheets of OSB or Plywood. I used OSB because I had a lot here in our shop left over from other projects. I will post pictures tomorrow.

The cost would be
10 2x4x8 $2 each $20
5 Cheap Plywood $15 Each $75
3" Screws or nails $3
1 1/4" Screws or nails $3
Paint $10

Total Around $110-115 or so

I have my coops sitting on pallets with a sheet or OSB for a floor. My nest boxes are milk crates with the fronts cut off. I feed and water my birds from outside because its a small height coop. My run for a coop is about 8x10. I dont know how appealing thin coop design can be but its really cheap to build and easy as well.

I will try to get pics tomorrow.

Nate

Last edited:
I have breeder coops that house up to 8 chickens with plenty of space. They are 4x8 and very simple. They are not fancy by any means but they work well for my needs. They take 10 2x4x8's and 5 sheets of OSB or Plywood. I used OSB because I had a lot here in our shop left over from other projects. I will post pictures tomorrow.

The cost would be
10 2x4x8 $2 each $20
5 Cheap Plywood $15 Each $75
3" Screws or nails $3
1 1/4" Screws or nails $3
Paint $10

Total Around $110-115 or so

I have my coops sitting on pallets with a sheet or OSB for a floor. My nest boxes are milk crates with the fronts cut off. I feed and water my birds from outside because its a small height coop. My run for a coop is about 8x10. I dont know how appealing thin coop design can be but its really cheap to build and easy as well.

I will try to get pics tomorrow.

Nate

I love that idea! Excited to see pictures.

Oh, go on and give it a whirl. You'll probably surprise yourself. Expect a lot of do-overs, gaps (that's what caulk is for), frustration. I think the worse thing is working with hardware cloth (It keeps me cut up). Everything takes forever to get done and it takes on a life of its own but, I like the quirky charm of home-made coops! I wouldn't put a lot of them in the front yard but they are perfect in the back yard.

Here are a few Pictures of a coop I built in about an hour or 2. I added the roosts and Pop door once I realized I forgot to put them in there. These are Temporary coops that is why they are OSB. They are 4x8 and 4' tall on one side and 3' tall on the back. I have 7 hens in this coop with 1 rooster. I have old milk crates as the nest boxes and Pine Shavings for bedding.

Side View with Chicken door to run

Front side with a free barn cat if anyone wants her!

Back side with egg door

Close up of egg door. That green line is what I use to open and close the pop door each day and night

Nest Boxes with a few eggs this morning

Inside View of the Roosts.

I built these at the end of fall so I have not put in windows for cross ventilation. These were literally thrown together when I moved in November. I got married and I needed to move my Birds. I built 3 like this a one that is taller to be able to walk in for my O Shamo. They are very tall birds. They have worked well for me so far and they will probably stay around for a while but I an building a 12x20 coop for my breeders. These coops will probably still be used. They are very simple to build.

Here is my 12x20 coop almost completed.

Nate

OK Chickens...., is that a 55 Chevy I see in the background of one of your pics? Ok, back to the subject. I am in the finishing stages of my girls new coop. It's an 8x12 with a slopped roof. 8tf wall in front, 7 in back. One pop door and one access door. I havent' cut the windows out yet but there will be one on the East side, which is the front, and 2 on the south. I'm on 16 inch centers on all the studs and rafters. So far, it's only weathered in. Hopefully the floor will be painted or laminated this weekend and I can start on the roost and nesting boxes. So, far I have spent a grand total of 267.95 buying material on sale.

Check with your local High School to see if they have a Wood Shop or Building Trades class

If they do, you provide the plans and materials, they provide the labor and tools :)

Last edited:
OK Chickens...., is that a 55 Chevy I see in the background of one of your pics? Ok, back to the subject. I am in the finishing stages of my girls new coop. It's an 8x12 with a slopped roof. 8tf wall in front, 7 in back. One pop door and one access door. I havent' cut the windows out yet but there will be one on the East side, which is the front, and 2 on the south. I'm on 16 inch centers on all the studs and rafters. So far, it's only weathered in. Hopefully the floor will be painted or laminated this weekend and I can start on the roost and nesting boxes. So, far I have spent a grand total of 267.95 buying material on sale.

Its a 57 Chevy and It runs and drives. That car is my wifes Grandpas car. It never gets driven but he will not sell it for any amount of money for some odd reason. It is a really nice car though!

Nate

All thank you for all replies I plan on doing some preliminary work this weekend, hopefully more people will chime in...

ok so I'm liking this coop https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/recycled-coop the idea of recycling appeals to me and also the fact that is raised from the ground, I really want to start from the ground up, what should it be on my so called shopping list (craigslist)? Basic structure= 4 posts (height?) for sure then boards for the floor and plywood for the walls, nails, hammer and a saw LOL what I'm not sure are the dimensions...... need help figuring that out

Back
Top Bottom