totally off the subject

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueBirdChick, Aug 17, 2010.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    [​IMG]
    kinda mad today. just out of the blue one of my roos attacked me. I went in to get the water dish and all of sudden he flew at me and spurred me sliced my hand , pecked me twice. Now he's on the dinner menu or wait freezer camp or something. Its a bit upsetting cause ive taken care of him since he was a little chickie.

Its maddening cause you take such good care of them , yeah grant it its not a pet and they are wild creatures somewhat. Still maddening when they do that. Youre like what the heck where did that come from ? Now im not sure what do to. Will he attack again ? Ive got so much on my mind its silly.. Its so messed up its frustrating. What to do? What to do ?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

My experience has been once they go bad....there is no turning back. Others have had some luck 'retraining' mean roos. I dont have the patience. We just eat them.

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    The little Kiki roo in my avatar have had many "come to Jesus" talks in his short 3 year life. He gets kinda "cocky" in the early spring. I just tuck him under my arm, pull his comb and wattles as I walk around feeding and watering and after a few times, he stops, until the next spring. The rest of the year he perches on my are or shoulder when Im hanging out in the coop. Adelecent hormones I guess.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I eat them. They don't get a second chance...especially if they KEEP coming at me after the initial "come to Jesus" discussion which may or may not include my trusty shovel/baseball bat.

Why bother "training" a rooster that is a known attacker...at which point you will have to continuously watch your own back even though you have "trained" said rooster. Get a bird that is decent to you AND his hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by