Totally quackers..I cant believe I have brought more home again!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jan 7, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Well Today I took home the 2 borrowed ducks. I picked them up a month ago from a friend and have been incubating their eggs in the hope of getting better colours. On that day a month ago- I also bought 3 other ducks. As " payment for borrowing the girls- I gave my friend two extra drakes to increase the number of bloodlines she has in her flock.

Well...I did it again - but at least not as many this time..and for a VERY good reason. I brought home one drake.. although I already have enough for myself and a few to spare.

BUT HE IS CRESTED [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I cant beileve I actually have a crested Runner finally. They are very rare out here in Australia- and I have never even seen one alive - only heard then talked about and seen photos.

He is out with my young ones who are mostly a bit older.. Going out now to take some photos...But I had to log on hear and get this announcement out there... I am so happy with my new boy. he was a surprise hatching at my friends place - as none of heres have crests...But I have discovered where he has come from,And am so happy. I had so wanted to buy ducks from the breeder about a year ago- but couldnt get to the sale...and now I do have a boy from his stock. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Here he is!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

As long as the total count is still reducing - I am allowed to bring home more. I am so glad he is now part of my flock .

3. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    awe yay!!!!!! he's soooo cute!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    He looks . . . very aristocratic. And i think everyone needs at least one more duck. [​IMG]

5. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Many Years ago we had a Crested Rouen Duck as a pet. My son brought him home from the feedstore. He was such a good duck!!

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh...and in all my excitement about the new boy in my life [​IMG] I forgot to mention the little cardboard carton that also came home on the front seat of the car. It contains a dozen eggs [​IMG] I dont want to think about what I will do with so many ducklings in a months time. All being well with all my eggs currently in the incubator..and now these new ones...I could have as many as 49 ducklings aged up to 30 days old by that time.

7. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulaions Ducky...hes a handsome dude. Love his colour by the way and his little crest.
    [​IMG] And more babies on the way, god help you in a months time with little poop machines all over the place but hey...you gotta do what you gotta do to get the colours you want. Im so happy for you. x[​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Gofasterstripe - Not too long to go before your first little " handmade " poop machine will greet the world, You just wait... If the incubating bug catches you too - there will be no stopping you. No egg will escape the incubator and the 28 day slow cook.

I bought a dozen Crested duck eggs about 18 months ago- but got none to term - but have wanted a crested ever since. Seeing all the photos on here of all your lovely crested Runners just made me want one even more. I am still trying to work out exactly what is in his genetics as far as colour goes - he has blue and fawn in his feathers- but of course being so young still he has a lot of growing and molting to do before I see his adult plumage.

9. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I know, I still have another week yet...its dragging soooo bad, then I have another week after that for the next two to hatch. Once they have all hatched I will be cleaning the bator out and fillin git up with as many eggs as it will hold and leave it for 10 days to see what I have or havent got. I wish my Runners were laying, I cant wait to hatch some eggs from them, so hopefully, by the time these 3 hatch, then the next batch, hopefully they would of started laying and been laying for a month or so and the next batch I do will be runners and Pekin and see what we get. The Runners are 20 weeks now so it wont be long...Slys egg bag was HUGE yesterday..I have left her in with her sisters the runners, I didnt want to kick her in with the big girls even tho she is bigger than all of them so Slys egg will be part runner...bless her heart, hopefully her baby wont have such a waddle and im eggcited to see what I get from her.
    EDITED....Just candled my eggs and turned. Lonesome egg is now so full Its so dark to see anything but the air sack is bigger than it was the other day when I candled so I must be doing something right. The other 2...both moving round in there so they are doing ok too....

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG] You finally got a crested duck [​IMG] Your making me wanna put them duck eggs in the bator [​IMG] And I know they are fertile [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by