1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Totally silly question here!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 8, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Just curious as to how much these breeds weigh.

Calls
    Mini silver appleyards
    Silkies
    Magpies
    And saxonys

Really random and weird but curious I think calls weigh around 2 lbs for the males, and 1 1/2 for females, but could be wrong....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Quote:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. Tashi

Tashi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Brecon, Wales
    I think it's something like this:
    Call ducks - Ideal weight for drake 0.56-0.68kg. Duck 0.45-0.56kg
    Mini Silver's - I think it's about a kilo
    Silkie - Again, about a kilo
    Magpies (i was going to get one of these to keep by duckling company. They're really cool [​IMG]) duck: 2,5 kg; of the drake: 3.5 kg
    Saxony - Drake: 3.6 Kg, Duck: 3.2 Kg

I think this is right. I wikapedia'ed [​IMG]

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    OK. Now it is time for you to purchase an American Standard of Perfection so you can easily look things up like that.

It's a gorgeous book with beautiful color plates and tons of information about all the recognized breeds of poultry. It's well worth the price.

With the newest edition out, if you don't want to pay full price, you could probably find the edition before this one for a very reduced price. There will be a couple of newly recognized breeds missing, but as far as I know, none of the breed standards have changed.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Lol. Never heard of it? Is there a website? Lol! I figured there was a few people on here who could help me, so I thought I would ask [​IMG] thanks guys!

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:Silkies are not APA recognized so they wouldnt be in it.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    How much is a kilo besides a thousand grams [​IMG]

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You do know you can google online conversion and get the answer. Could also google average weight of _________ (fill in the blank) and get the answers. It is part of researching a breed. [​IMG]

9. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
  10. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The SOP is sold through the American Poultry Association web site. As far as I know, that is the only source unless you find one used.

I think that if you an get your hands on a copy, you will really enjoy having it and looking up all the different breeds and reading all the information about what to look for in a good bird. The illustrations in the newest edition are really outstanding. They are paintings and could be framed, except that you wouldn't want to cut them out of your book.

Because you are genuinely interested in poultry, I would love to see you succeed and turn into a famous breeder. Getting your copy of the SOP is an important step in that journey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by