'Totally' Waste Free Bucket Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aart, Nov 30, 2014.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have been using my Totally Waste Free Funnel Bucket Feeder for about a month now and am now convinced that IS waste free. Updated 12-4-14 to say Totally because it is proving to just that!

I liked the trigger feeder concept seen around for a couple years from the UK and feel I improved it's use by installing it in the bottom of a funnel so all the feed in the container could be distributed.

I wanted a 'deep dish' feed pan to minimize any billing/beaking out of feed onto floor/ground.

I thought about this for months before finally putting it together, it went together so easily and is easily modified if needed.

I did make a couple changes to the trigger aspect but now thing I've got it just where I want it.
    Underlined text above, in first sentence of the post, will take you to all the parts and details of construction and installation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You have some beautiful birds aart. I'm going to take a look at your link, we could do with less feed waste around here. Thanks!

3. KGreene

KGreene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Looks to be an easy build..... is the feed released simply through the hole in the Teflon, via vibration from the birds pecking the trigger mechanism?

Regards,

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep!
    Hole in teflon should be sized to feed(crumble or pellets or cracked grain) you'll have to play with it, starting small.
    At least that's the technique for a trigger feeder dropping onto the ground or into a shallow dish so not too much releases and gets spread/scratched around,
    but with my 'deep dish' it doesn't matter as it can't be scratched around.

5. KGreene

KGreene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Nice! I'll be building one or two this weekend. My younger birds are terrible for wasting feed. Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by